Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Circle Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-circle-quilt-t172181.html)

LORNAD 12-15-2011 11:14 PM

Help with Circle Quilt

My daughter is just starting to make quilts and would like to make a circle quilt. At the Pacific International Quilt Show in Santa Clara last year I sat through a class on making them and purchased all of the kit for making what is called at "Less Than Traditional" quilt I m confused to how much material you need to make the quilt though. It says for a Medium Size quilt you need a total of 288 circles and yardage for the front is 13 yards and yardage for the back is 13 yards. I find it hard to believe that to make this quilt it will take 26 yards to make a full size quilt. The pattern is put out by Quilters Haven. I sent them an email however they never answered it. Anyone know what the correct yardage is. I'm thinking it is probably 13 yards for front and back, not each.

deemail 12-15-2011 11:32 PM

there's no way for us to tell what they may have done, and remember, they are selling you a kit or fabric. just lay the quilt out on graph paper and then you can have it any size you like. i'm not sure i know what you mean by 'circle' quilt, so if you have a pattern site or picture someone here would be able to help you better...

MTS 12-16-2011 12:58 AM

Is this the circle pattern that makes a two-sided Cathedral Windows?

I remember seeing it years ago at Houston. They were demoing it with bright kid fabrics - it certainly got one (me) to stop and watch.

It's the nature of that particular technique, and the yardage sounds appropriate.

(I don't think they sell fabric kits, just the templates/rulers, books, CD's related to their technique).

Even if your blocks in the quilt will be 8" square FINISHED, you need to start with a much larger square, approx.1.5 times larger...for both the front and the back.

(What does the pattern say re: cutting size and finished size of the squares?)

So assuming a 10x11 layout of finished 8" blocks for a full size quilt (80"x88"), those 110 ~12" starting squares can easily require 12-13 yards. Per side.

http://quiltershaven.secure-mall.com.../Starter-Set-3

Arleners 12-16-2011 02:49 AM

I have made that quilt and believe it or not, the yardage they are stating is correct. It eats fabric. There is a lot of waste converting the squares to circles, and there is a lot of overlap where you fold the circle back into a square. One other thing I would recommend it to think twice about batting. It made my quilt so heavy. If I ever did it again, I would either completely forego the batting, or use a very thin flannel.

zennia 12-16-2011 03:53 AM

So glad I read this post. I was going to take a class on circle quilt's in Jan. I might change my mind now. I did'nt know they took so much fabric.

Taino Jan 12-16-2011 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If your daughter has her heart set on circles maybe she can start with an easier quilt. In the book The Modern Quilt Workshop by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr is a pattern called Love Beads. Will try to send a pic along with this post.

GrannieAnnie 12-16-2011 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by LORNAD (Post 4785290)
My daughter is just starting to make quilts and would like to make a circle quilt. At the Pacific International Quilt Show in Santa Clara last year I sat through a class on making them and purchased all of the kit for making what is called at "Less Than Traditional" quilt I m confused to how much material you need to make the quilt though. It says for a Medium Size quilt you need a total of 288 circles and yardage for the front is 13 yards and yardage for the back is 13 yards. I find it hard to believe that to make this quilt it will take 26 yards to make a full size quilt. The pattern is put out by Quilters Haven. I sent them an email however they never answered it. Anyone know what the correct yardage is. I'm thinking it is probably 13 yards for front and back, not each.

Define "circular" quilt? I'm assuming by your description that you mean a yo-yo quilt. 13 yards is more than enough for most fronts and backs together.

Tartan 12-16-2011 12:23 PM

I have no idea what the fabric requirements would be for "mock Cathdral Window" quilt. If that is the one, then it does take quite a bit of fabric. You can however get more circles out of your yardage if you cut the circles out and not squares first. Yes it is a little trickier but if you stager the rows of circle there is less waste I think. If it's a different pattern, no idea either. Sorry.