Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with crosshatch quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-crosshatch-quilting-t274238.html)

riverandwoods 01-07-2016 02:35 PM

p/s....read the Amazon reviews under the product I am using :)

Good luck!

meyert 01-07-2016 02:35 PM

I have never done 1" cross hatch, but the tape causes me problems as well. I mark with Crayola washable markers... but this will require that you wash the project. I would use a ruler or make a stencil that is 1" wide and use that to make your markings.

Genden 01-07-2016 02:39 PM

Thanks, that would be helpful. I just checked on Amazon and found the Clover Chaco. Because it is a tone-in-tone light fabric, I need to use a color--probably blue. There are a lot of reviews that say they can't remove the Clover Chaco blue chalk. That scares me enough that I want to use something else--something that brushes right off. I only need to mark one block at a time, then, I want to brush it right off. Anyone use a colored chalk that brushes right off?

QuiltnNan 01-07-2016 02:44 PM

if the fabrics are darker, i use a sliver of bar soap. when done, i just brush it off

riverandwoods 01-07-2016 02:53 PM

I will be watching for the answer to your question as I have wondered about the colored chalks as well.

I have tried Sew Line pencils and Chaco Liners ( in white, only) and I didn't really like either. I do like the idea of soap. Now that is clever! I may try that soon. Thanks to whomever suggested that.

Sync 01-07-2016 02:58 PM

I use the Clover chaco liner for most of my marking. I have not used the blue but I have used the yellow with no problems. In fact, I used the yellow to mark my daughter's wedding quilt with a lattice grid but I <wink> cheated and used a stencil. I usually hand quilt and have a Grace EZ3 frame.

Genden 01-07-2016 03:02 PM

I so appreciate everyone's help. Where could I go to find such helpful advice? I think I have tapped into something that others struggle with in marking a quilt, so I hope the suggestions will help more than just me. When we get this solved, maybe someone can help me come up with the math to mark the cross hatch accurately. Also, it gives me some comfort that someone else has the same problems I do with blue painter's tape.

Peckish 01-07-2016 06:04 PM

Dritz makes a purple marking pen that disappears by itself in a couple of days. If you are a slow quilter, it's probably not the best product, but it works for me.

barny 01-07-2016 06:26 PM

I think she is trying to get help on how to measure between each sewn line on the diagonal to make it even. Oh, my, now I have gotten you into trouble. I sure can't help you. Where are our mathematicians?

ManiacQuilter2 01-08-2016 04:20 AM

The yellow, blue and red does NOT come off even when washing. There are many previous post of us who have had problems with this product not coming off. Try the 1/4 masking tape. That should help you the best. I do use the white clover powdered chalk and it comes off easily