Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with cutting fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-cutting-fabric-t34607.html)

Dingle 01-19-2010 08:35 PM

When I get ready to cut my fabric, I iron it and fold it once. I iron the fold flat but when I lay it on my cutting mat you can see a slight bow in the middle of the fold. Why would this happen if it's only folded once? I know you can get the bows if the fabric is folded more then once. I have tried ironing with starch and without but it still happens either way. How can I stop this?

Thanks

magnolia 01-19-2010 09:11 PM

I cut mine the same way. I just use a little starch if it bows I just hope no one will notice. But it is frustrating. I do find the less folds the better.

Tiffany 01-19-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle
When I get ready to cut my fabric, I iron it and fold it once. I iron the fold flat but when I lay it on my cutting mat you can see a slight bow in the middle of the fold. Why would this happen if it's only folded once? I know you can get the bows if the fabric is folded more then once. I have tried ironing with starch and without but it still happens either way. How can I stop this?
Thanks

Are you folding it selvage to selvage? This makes a big difference!

amma 01-19-2010 09:50 PM

Also be very careful when you are ironing your fabric. If you iron to aggressively, you can distort it :wink:

Tippy 01-20-2010 02:29 AM

Also you can't just "fold" it you have to make sure it's folded on the grain.

Pam in WV 01-20-2010 04:04 AM

If you're having trouble folding from selvage to selvage, fold and then hold it up with the fold and match the selvage as closely as possible. Sometimes the selvage edge can have a little wave in it so if you hold it on the fold and match it, you can get the bow out of the folded edge. If it is a large piece of fabric you made need a helper to hold one end for you.
Good luck, Pam

Ninnie 01-20-2010 04:40 AM

I fold salvage to salvage. and I Iron it, without any steam.
If I am cutting smaller pieces, I will cut one yard off , and just work with it. Makes it easier to work with. Also, I will stop every 3rd cut and make sure it is still even on the edge.
Some times I need to trip just a little before continuing.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-20-2010 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I fold salvage to salvage. and I Iron it, without any steam.
If I am cutting smaller pieces, I will cut one yard off , and just work with it. Makes it easier to work with. Also, I will stop every 3rd cut and make sure it is still even on the edge.
Some times I need to trip just a little before continuing.

this is what I do too.

pam1966 01-20-2010 05:04 AM

I starch it nearly to death. Then I fold it selvage to selvage, smooth it out, and fold it again, smoothing it again. I also keep checking to make sure it's even on the edges while I'm cutting.

BellaBoo 01-20-2010 06:38 AM

I have resorted at times to gluing my selvages together and then pressing to get exact straight folds. My cuts were always off so I knew to buy extra fabric. That's why I was first in line to buy the fabric die cut machine.