Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with D9P (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-d9p-t270627.html)

ManiacQuilter2 10-02-2015 02:10 PM

Help with D9P

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a fat quarter package of Michael Miller "TA DOT". Until I saw a similar quilt on Google, I hadn't been able to choose a pattern. What my question is, my fabrics are fat quarters and yardage. Since they are not precut squares, is it easier and quicker to sew strips instead? I will be cutting 6" squares out of the fat quarters. THANKS

Tiggersmom 10-02-2015 02:17 PM

I don't know the answer to that but your pattern in the dots is terrific. I'm anxiously awaiting the finished project!

PaperPrincess 10-02-2015 02:52 PM

I would for sure sew a narrow black strip onto a 6" white strip, then cut the narrow side strips so you don't have to deal with the small squares. I would consider cutting 6" strips from your FQ, sew a narrow white strip to the long side, then recut into 6" units. I'd probably do one FQ this way to see if it saved time or not.

ManiacQuilter2 10-02-2015 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7334211)
I would for sure sew a narrow black strip onto a 6" white strip, then cut the narrow side strips so you don't have to deal with the small squares. I would consider cutting 6" strips from your FQ, sew a narrow white strip to the long side, then recut into 6" units. I'd probably do one FQ this way to see if it saved time or not.

I think I will cut the fat quarters into 3 strips and sew the short white strip to them then sub cut them into blocks. I will sew the black cornerstone stripe to the longer white stripe and the hack them vertically. THANKS PP.

Mdegenhart 10-02-2015 03:05 PM

You would have less waste with the fat quarters if you cut 5" squares.

toverly 10-02-2015 03:47 PM

I sewed a D9P with a fish fabric that had to remain right side up. It was not faster. But I think with your dots it may be okay if you can keep them in order.

quiltmouse 10-02-2015 04:00 PM

I would definitely sew strips. Cut all three of your fabrics into strips 6" wide, your FQ polkadots, and your white and black.

Fabrics

C = (color) Dot
W = White
B = Black

strip set 1 CWC
strip set 2 WBW

Sub cut that into 6" strips & sew your 9P together:

CWC (strip set 1)
WBW (strip set 2)
CWC (strip set 1)

Then cut your 9P in half vertically & horizontally exactly in the middle.

Arrange your blocks according to your plan.

(I know you know all this, but newbies sometimes wonder...)

QuiltnNan 10-02-2015 05:22 PM

I recently made my first D9P... after sewing the 9p's and then cutting and resewing, i thought it might be easier to just cut the pieces needed for the final layout. add a white strip to the color square. but sew strip sets of the black and white and subcut those to add to the side of the color/white pieces. JMHO

busy fingers 10-02-2015 06:23 PM

No advice on how to go about it but I love that design.

bearisgray 10-02-2015 07:05 PM

Measure your fat quarters before you start cutting them. I have purchased some that were only 17.5 inches long x 21 inches wide. Your pattern looks like it could be adapted to 5.5 iinch or 5 inch squares if your FQs are skimpy.