Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help deciding on border sizes etc (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-deciding-border-sizes-etc-t26923.html)

grammatjr 10-12-2009 09:48 AM

I am trying to design a quilt for my nephew who will be going to Bible College next year. I found a paper pieced block called "clasped hands", it is a simple stained glass block (http://www.equiltpatterns.com/quiltp...cts_id=454#LRG). I want to supersize this so it uses 3 big blocks in the center of the quilt, going lengthwise on the bed. Then, around that a simple sashing type border to differntiate the center from the next border. The next border will be a cyanotype print of church members praying for him. That border will be a finished 7.5" wide and 10" long. I have several questions: 1- Assuming he has a bunk bed in the dorm, I guess I want all this to show just on the flat of his bed, rather than tucked under the mattress, so does that mean that the entire center/sashing/cyanotype border should be about the size of a twin mattress - 39X75? 2- If I subtract 15" for the cyanotpye borders (one left side, one right side), and another 2" (finished) for the sashing, that would leave 22" for the center clasped hands blocks. If I left them square, that would be fairly easy. But I was thinking that setting them on point would be nice. What would the size of the square be, if the corner to corner was 22"? 3- What do you think should go on the outsides of the cyanotype border? I would need to put something to fill out the width, length in case he has a bed that will allow the sides to hang down (and of course so it is wide enough to cover him). I am estimating a finished width of 80", subtract from that the center stuff already discussed, and that leaves me 20.5" on each side, that I need to fill. I thought of some smaller clasped hands blocks, but have so much to do in this next year, so I really want this to be a fairly quick quilt, so don't want to make an extra dozen or so blocks. Maybe just do solid border(s), but a block in the bottom corners? I would make a label saying we are forming a prayer circle for him. What do you think? Thanks for the help.

k3n 10-12-2009 10:00 AM

Hi - to find the side of a square when you know the diagonal, you divide by the square root of 2 which is 1.41421 35623. For your 22" square this comes to about 15 1/2". Hope this helps (no, I'm not a math genius - ain't google great! :wink: )

I agree with you that the main images in your quilt would look nice on the bed top, then maybe with a plain border or more simple pieced border to hang over the sides or tuck in, as he wishes.

What a wonderful project! :D

amma 10-12-2009 10:33 AM

Oooo I love the description and idea behind this quilt!!! I can't wait to see it :D :D :D

grammatjr 10-12-2009 11:18 AM

Cool, thanks!

grammatjr 10-12-2009 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just did a quick sketch - what do you think? Sorry the program makes it look all wonky - I promise to try to align the blocks better when I sew them! LOL

Ethan likes blue.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52479[/ATTACH]

joeyoz 10-12-2009 12:30 PM

Ooooh! That would be very pretty.

k3n 10-12-2009 11:02 PM

That is going to be beautiful! Will you use a batik for the blue? :D

grammatjr 10-13-2009 07:11 AM

I thought I would use batik, that way it won't be "girly" prints, and I don't want plaids or anything, then it would be all wonky looking. I know blue is his favorite color, so thought I would use a light and dark, but what the other 2 colors will be - I don't know. We don't have many quilt fabric options near here. So I was thinking of trying the snow dying technique I saw posted here recently. But, that would mean waiting for a big enough snow! And it would mean not starting too soon. I think I will take his mom (my sister) shopping with me, so I can hopefully get what he may like, but still be a surprise. Of course, I will need to come up with a story why I am taking pics of everyone in church's hands. Though I had thought of using the basic idea as a lap quilt, make several up in different colors, then when we know a missionary is coming we could use it as a signature quilt for them too!