Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help,design uneven after quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-design-uneven-after-quilting-t170461.html)

peggyauberry 11-30-2011 05:31 PM

help,design uneven after quilting

even thoughIhave been quilting for about3-4 yrs, I still feel like a beginner. I finally can cut the right sizes & can sew a good 1/4in. seam allowance(have a foot). |BUT, after I have done the quilting, my seams are uneven, so my whole quilt is uneven( |I square up the quilt before I start quilting|). What am I doing wrong?
ps: I don't know if this is the right place to post this question. Let me know if I should have done different.

peggy

nativetexan 11-30-2011 09:41 PM

how are you quilting? free motion or stitch in the ditch, etc? perhaps you are pulling on your quilt as you stitch. i can't think why it becomes uneven. i wouldn't square it up before quilting myself. usually squaring up isn't cutting off more than about 1/8 an inch. perhaps 1/4 in the border edge. not more.
there are many tutorials online showing how to machine quilt. and maybe your library has quilt books you can borrow. visuals help.

lfletcher 12-01-2011 05:35 AM

I square up my quilt after quilting. This may help some.

grammy Dwynn 12-01-2011 06:03 AM

You say your seams become uneven after quilting - sounds like you are pulling/stretching while quilting. Also if while quilting, you should try and have your quilt piled/bunched on the table, because the weight pulling down can affect the quilt/quilting. A table or ironing board on you left side can take up some of the weight.

I also do not square up my quilt, until AFTER I have quilted.

Sew Krazy Girl 12-02-2011 12:17 AM

Are you using a walking foot? It helps to keep the 3 layers even. Also, don't pull or stretch while sewing.

mpspeedy 12-02-2011 04:28 AM

The main thing I have learned after more than 40 years of quilting is that fabric is not a "stable" medium. It stretches, shrinks and is often not straight to begin with. I tear all of my fabric and also prewash it and it is still not straight. In the manufacturing process they wrap it on the bolt crooked and it seems to stay that way. The only thing you can do is "press" it firmly and starch it if necessary and then take your chances. It does help to support the item you are quilting as much as possible. That is one reason I am not interested in machine quilting something any bigger than lap size. Physically dragging it around under my machine is more than I can handle because of health issues. If I have to work on anything bigger I surround my sewing setup with tables that will support the quilt or whatever I am working on.
If it helps to make you feel better, my husband is a macninist who spends his working hours cutting up metal. It also stretchs and shrinks from changes in tempature. He actually carries some items from one end of the shop to the other in a cooler with dry ice to maintain their size until he can cut them accurately. If metal isn't stable how could fabric be?
Finish your project and be happy with the color and design you have accomplished. No one is perfect.

omaluvs2quilt 12-02-2011 09:36 AM

I know not all people like to use these, but I sandwich with the 505 basting spray and find that it totally stabilizes the quilt sandwich. I have done several queen size quilts on my Janome 6600P with no problems and they have all washed up nice & soft. I do use my walking foot to stitch in the ditch, but much prefer to free motion. I have tried and tried the pinning process and have not been successful, even on a lap size or smaller. Once quilted I square up prior to applying the binding.

glenda 12-02-2011 09:43 AM

Are you quilting from the center out? That might help keep your quilt even.

Tartan 12-02-2011 09:46 AM

If you are going to STD on the sashing or around the blocks, it is best to do those first before any FMQ. If you FMQ without the straight lines already stitched you are going to get some movement of the quilt top. This is especially important if there are long vertical straight lines because as you look up them from the bottom they can really wander. It's not as noticable for the horizontal staight lines. If I have vertical lines I'm going to do, I pick one in the middle of the quilt and do it first, then I quilt the horizontal lines out from it. I then do my FMQ in the first row on either sides of the center straight line and proceed outward. This is what I do but if any one else has a better method please share it.

RUSewing 12-02-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt (Post 4743706)
I know not all people like to use these, but I sandwich with the 505 basting spray and find that it totally stabilizes the quilt sandwich. I have done several queen size quilts on my Janome 6600P with no problems and they have all washed up nice & soft. I do use my walking foot to stitch in the ditch, but much prefer to free motion. I have tried and tried the pinning process and have not been successful, even on a lap size or smaller. Once quilted I square up prior to applying the binding.

I also am fan of 505 Spray.