Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help for a DH for his wife's Xmas present (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-dh-his-wifes-xmas-present-t81237.html)

lhavelka 12-07-2010 11:11 AM

So my DH sends me an email that states that his co worker wants to buy his wife a sewing machine for Xmas. Hers has problems piecing heavier fabrics together for quilts. She makes alot of quilts and just does the putting the blocks together. He wants to get her a new machine around $600 or so. Any suggestions out there from fellow quilters? I have a megaquilter and my friend has a juki but they are around $1000. Thanks!!!!

Cyn 12-07-2010 11:12 AM

No ideas but I think this is so sweet!

BellaBoo 12-07-2010 11:18 AM

No way would I let DH or anyone choose a new sewing machine for me. A beautiful card with the check for a new machine would be the only way to do this. I would have your DH tell the guy Do not buy the machine, let her choose.

nellie 12-07-2010 11:21 AM

wow so many on market why not google and see whice one would do the job better it would have to be able to sew on heavy fabric two come to mind white brand and singer sewing machine but i know there,s more

hobo2000 12-07-2010 11:22 AM

You can't go wrong with a Brother Nouvelle 1500 for that price 9" throat, drop feed. I love mine.

lhavelka 12-07-2010 11:24 AM

She was looking at a machine for $400 but he wanted to get her something better than that.

pocoellie 12-07-2010 11:26 AM

I love my elna, but it's over the price range, but Janome have a good reputation, but there's no way I would buy a new Singer, old one, yes. Bellaboo is right, have him get a gift certificate and let her choose. What a great husband!!!

featherweight 12-07-2010 11:28 AM

If it were me I would get a picture of a sewing machine and enclose the check and picture in a card and let her pick her own machine out.

Momof3Es 12-07-2010 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
No way would I let DH or anyone choose a new sewing machine for me. A beautiful card with the check for a new machine would be the only way to do this. I would have your DH tell the guy Do not buy the machine, let her choose.

This is what I would suggest. If he wants to make it a little more interesting put it in a large box and wrap the whole thing. After she opens it he needs to tell her that he wanted to make sure she got the one she likes! He will be the envy of DH's across the world!

quilterella 12-07-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by lhavelka
So my DH sends me an email that states that his co worker wants to buy his wife a sewing machine for Xmas. Hers has problems piecing heavier fabrics together for quilts. She makes alot of quilts and just does the putting the blocks together. He wants to get her a new machine around $600 or so. Any suggestions out there from fellow quilters? I have a megaquilter and my friend has a juki but they are around $1000. Thanks!!!!

My suggestion would be a Janome 6600 or the New Horizon...unfortunately it would probably give someone a heartache with the price. I love my Janomes and toot its horn every chance I get. I've had mine for 6yrs and you just can't beat the Accufeed feature. The machines take whatever I dish out, and somedays, its alot.