Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with doll quilt & sewing with 8 yr old granddaughter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-doll-quilt-sewing-8-yr-old-granddaughter-t175098.html)

mimiknoxtaylor 01-21-2012 04:52 AM

Rosie's quilt

2 Attachment(s)
Rosie made her quilt with great success. She's so proud! We made it Saturday & even took time to leave for lunch & a cupcake run! Very easy technique. Thanks for the suggestions.
We used flannel for the batting & made the backing larger & brought it around to front for the binding. I made one before she did & used the "birthing" method which was OK but thought she'd like the binding better.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]304806[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]304807[/ATTACH]

Dina 01-21-2012 10:08 AM

What a great quilt and an even better smile!

Grandma Bonnie 01-05-2014 08:23 PM

She made a very pretty quilt and looks like she enjoyed it and is very proud (as she should be!). Great job!

littlebitoheaven 01-07-2014 06:03 AM

You must be very proud. A beautiful girl and a great doll quilt.

Stitch124 01-07-2014 06:31 AM

How sweet!!!

My GD is 7 and wants to sew very much. She has a 5 yr old sister who also wants to sew but doesn't have the coordination or patience to follow directions...working slow and steady. I like this blanket idea and will give it try with my GD's very soon.

Your GD is adorable!

mimiknoxtaylor 01-07-2014 07:05 AM

[QUOTE=Stitch124;6498314]How sweet!!!

My GD is 7 and wants to sew very much. She has a 5 yr old sister who also wants to sew but doesn't have the coordination or patience to follow directions...working slow and steady. I like this blanket idea and will give it try with my GD's very soon.

This GD is 10 now & into other things when we keep them but 2 other GDs are 7 and almost 5. They were with in the mountains & I let them both make mug rugs. I took a piece of batting & a backing-put together with spray basting. I keep scraps for them in a big bag in my sewing room & I let them take a couple hand fulls & put in something smaller. Using a school glue stick they put the strip on their "sandwich" & then took the next strip, glued down to cover 1 edge then sewed that edge, then repeat until square is covered -it's like crazy quilting.
I let them use my old machines that are metal & easier for them. After they were finished I took another fabric square a little larger for the "real" backing. Sewed around leaving an opening for turning & finished them so they had a little project to take home. They love them!
Hayley was 4 & 1/2 yrs old then & she actually did better than Keeley who was 7.
It's really never too soon. There are even printable sewing cards I've seen on the net that would be good for your younger GD.
Good luck & have fun.

Jannie 01-07-2014 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor (Post 4860727)
Thank you Mary & April. I had also seen a tip about putting in a layer of foil to make the quilt hold it's shape when they position it over their baby. What do you think of that? And would you put it in & sew through it?

I would think the foil would only be used for quilts in a doll house where you are wanting it to stay in a specific shape on display. I don't think I would use it for a quilt the child would be playing with.

mimiknoxtaylor 01-09-2014 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jannie (Post 6499839)
I would think the foil would only be used for quilts in a doll house where you are wanting it to stay in a specific shape on display. I don't think I would use it for a quilt the child would be playing with.

The foil is to be able to position the blanket over your doll & then fix it to stay. Not really for the little girls in my opinion & we did play with it in ours before finally stitching closed. Maybe if you were making a tiny quilt for a doll house that would only be for display.

dcamarote 01-09-2014 08:47 AM

I made one for each of my granddaughters for their American Girl Dolls. I just made up a pattern that was about 18x24. They were a perfect size. I also embroidered the dolls' name on the quilt and made a little pillow to match. They both loved them. Just use your imagination and you will do something great, I know it.