Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Easy pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-easy-pattern-t276106.html)

quiltsRfun 02-25-2016 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by shortcake2012 (Post 7476915)
We have pieces as small as 1.5 inches wide and differing in lengths from short pieces to 20 inches long

Sounds like string piecing would work. As suggested, check out Bonnie Hunter's site at quiltvillecom.

shortcake2012 02-25-2016 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7476925)
If your scraps are big enough, go to the Tutorial section of this Board and look at my post called Five Easy Pieces Charity Quilt pattern. Works great with scraps and doesn't get much easier than this pattern!!

Jeanne S. I printed off your tutorial and will take it to my friend to see what she thinks. Personally I love it and I want to do it even if I need to buy more fabric, which I don't think I will. Actually, I will have to purchase some white, odd that I don't have any. Oh well. Thanks so very much for everyone's help.

quiltingshorttimer 02-25-2016 09:59 PM

No ideas on patterns, but if you want some thoughts on making scrap quilts using different color schemes, check out Donna Thomas's book on Scrap quilts. She gives you several ideas on how to make scrappies either with total random, using one consistent color/block to pull it together, etc. It really helped me develop a plan so that I wasn't so panicked about trying a scrappy quilt.

zennia 02-26-2016 03:52 AM

I fell in love with a pattern- and making- a pattern found right here on our board.
It's under the tutorial section called "Turning 2.5" scraps into Log Cabin block" by JENNR8R

ManiacQuilter2 02-26-2016 05:55 AM

It depends on the size of your scraps. Our church sewers receieve a lot of smaller scraps so we have been discussing using this pattern:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEROi6myQ9s
I did see it posted here.

Wintersewer 02-26-2016 08:20 AM

If your friend is very new to quilting she may have not mastered the perfect 1/4" seam, and some of the quilts mentioned require this skill.. I used to start new quilters out with string quilts using the stitch and flip method. Start with a slightly larger square and trim to size. These blocks don't stretch and are easy to sew together, in many different patterns. I want new quilters to be successful and not have to stress about sewing exact seams. IMHO

Fabric Galore 02-26-2016 08:39 AM

I had so many scraps that I cut them into 2 1/2" widths, and no longer than 6". I put them into a laundry basket and randomly picked a strip ( the only rule is no matching strips sewed together) and sewed them together on the narrow width of the fabric. I kept rolling the strip into a large ball and then I cut a long strip from the ball that was the width I wanted for the quilt. Keep cutting strips this length and joining them together until you have the length you want. Don't worry about matching fabrics. When it is all together you have a brick wall quilt. This is an old Kaye Woods pattern and I got a lot of compliments on a very easy quilt. I then used fabric from that big ball to crochet an oval rug and I made a basket from Aunt Philly's pattern for the guest bathroom. I firmly believe that when you turn off the lights in your sewing room at night, those scraps are breeding because there are always more and more.

Tartan 02-26-2016 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did up one block of the 2 X 3-1/2 inch rectangles that I saw on Pinterest. Hers were completely scrappy blocks but I wanted to try to see if putting all darks on one side and lights on another would give an almost Log Cabin block. There are lots of different arrangements for Log Cabinblocks and this size rectangles end up being a 9-1/2 inch block. It was really easy and I pressed all the seam allowances outward for a nice flat look. [ATTACH=CONFIG]543529[/ATTACH]

quilting cat 02-26-2016 10:42 PM

Sort your scraps into lights and brights/darks. I would then do a basic 9 patch with squares cut not smaller than 3".
Each block has 5 squares from one pile and 4 from the other, you decide whether they should match color or pattern or just be random.

illinois 02-27-2016 05:39 AM

My first scrappy quilt was on foundation and was also one of my first quilts. Can use an old sheet or muslin that has been through the laundry so it will not shrink later. Choose one fabric that you want to be your "focus fabric". Mine was a blue print. Now use up your scraps, alternating lights and darks, remembering that mediums will become either lights or darks next to the previous strip. You will need some triangles as the last piece on the foundation. You can join these blocks together or put sashing between them. This method also is learning experience in recognizing lights and darks.

This method can also be done on paper pages from phone books but then one has to go back to remove the paper so putting it on fabric is a lot easier!