Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help figuring out yardage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-figuring-out-yardage-t93336.html)

squilter 01-23-2011 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am attaching a sketch (and I am not a good sketcher) of my quilt I am making and would like for someone to figure the yardage I need for the borders and center block. The outside 8" border, the 4"border around center block, 2" border around center block and the center block. Have I confused you yet? I have figured it but not sure I am correct since I haven't made a quilt in several years where I had to figure for borders. Thanks for your help.

Sissy

quiltstodo 01-23-2011 08:48 PM

Are all the borders the same fabric

Thumbelina 01-23-2011 09:02 PM

Hi Sissy if I figured this right, your 4" border will take 2/3yd., your 2" border 1/3yd.,and your 8" border at least 21/3yd. if you don't mind piecing it together. If you don't want to piece your 8"border than I'd get 3yds. Hope this helps you out. Good luck. Post a picture when you get it finished.

quiltjoey 01-23-2011 09:09 PM

I don't know how to do that either so I bought the "Quilter's FabriCalc". I can figure just about anything do do with all the different yardages in quilts. I am learning to use it and keep the manual handy. I really like it! I going to join a quilting group beginning in Feb. and hoping that will help me learn and the little tricks of quilting!

squilter 01-23-2011 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Thumbelina
Hi Sissy if I figured this right, your 4" border will take 2/3yd., your 2" border 1/3yd.,and your 8" border at least 21/3yd. if you don't mind piecing it together. If you don't want to piece your 8"border than I'd get 3yds. Hope this helps you out. Good luck. Post a picture when you get it finished.

Thank you Thumbelina! That was close to what I had figured. For the center block, I will have to buy a yard for it because it is too wide to get two out of a yard, right?

katie1 01-23-2011 09:27 PM

would love t o find some one who really knows how to use the fabricalc! I've enlarged a quilt from a pattern I have and every time I run it through the fabricalc I come up with different answers. Some are totally ludicrous. any ideas?

squilter 01-23-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by squilter

Originally Posted by Thumbelina

Thank you Thumbelina! That was close to what I had figured. For the center block, I will have to buy a yard for it because it is too wide to get two out of a yard, right?

I will have to have enough to do 5 quilts, whew, the fabric I wanted is $7.95 yd. I think I will have to go with something else.
don't expect to see them anytime soon....HOPEFULLY by next Christmas.