Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help finishing a quilt left to me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-finishing-quilt-left-me-t260993.html)

Hikeaddict 02-08-2015 03:13 PM

Help finishing a quilt left to me

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Group! I am a new member and just recently started reading. I have been wanting to start quilting for some time now, but have been busy in school and not had the time. I am on the downhill slide of school and hopefully should have much more time from now on for crafty pursuits! I'm a soon to be resident physician in family medicine and will be moving soon once I find out where I will complete my training. Nice to meet ya'll!

Anyway on to my question. My sister in law gave me a bag a few Christmas's ago and said "my grandma was working on this quilt and I thought maybe you could finish it!" (I sew, so I guess she thought I could quilt as well). I took it in hopes I could someday do just that. Her grandmother recently passed and I was thinking I should really finish this for her. I opened it all the way up today and was a bit confused by what I found- of course I was...I don't quilt..yet! I know I will probably have to find an experienced quilter to really help me finish, but I did have one question. Some of the pieces have what appear to be dashed lines that look to be printed on the fabric. I know they aren't part of the printed "design" as such because they look out of place and block a rectangular piece into triangles of different colors. I may be a noob, but my understanding was that you cut pieces and stitch them but these dashed lines are in a quilt top that has already been assembled. So..what are these lines?! I'm attaching a photo that will hopefully illustrate what I mean. Also attaching a pic of the whole thing, just for fun. Any thoughts would be so greatly appreciated.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]509361[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509362[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]509364[/ATTACH]
~Courtney

Nammie to 7 02-08-2015 03:18 PM

Are those areas actually pieced or is this a "cheater quilt". Those lines might indicate where you are supposed to hand quilt.

Hikeaddict 02-08-2015 03:20 PM

No the small triangles aren't pieced. Just the various rectangles are pieced. Must be a cheater quilt! I didn't actually even know that existed, but it makes sense!

Prism99 02-08-2015 03:26 PM

What does the underside of the quilt look like? If you could post a photo of the wrong side, that would help.

It appears to me that this is a pieced log cabin quilt, but that one of the fabrics used in the piecing was a fabric that was meant to be used as a "cheater". If this is the case, you would ignore those printed black stitches in the cheater fabric.

Are you thinking of quilting this by hand or by machine?

Hikeaddict 02-08-2015 03:35 PM

Hi Prism! Thanks for the comment! I added a pic of the wrong side. What you are saying makes sense from looking at the quilt though. I was planning to machine quilt. Unfortunately, like many of my generation, my hand stitching is abysmal. Something I need to work on, but this is perhaps not the project for that..

QuiltingVagabond 02-08-2015 03:40 PM

I think Prism has nailed it, I love the vintage fabrics! What a wonderful quilt! I would ignore the dashed lines and quilt how you like. Maybe Stitch in the Ditch (seam line) or 1/4" on either side of the seam would be easiest.
Your batting will determine how far apart the quilting can be.

Hikeaddict 02-08-2015 05:28 PM

Thank you for your help everyone! I will have to decide how to finish it off, but I'll post some pics when I do!

sewingsuz 02-08-2015 07:21 PM

Hi, the quilt is awesome.

ManiacQuilter2 02-09-2015 05:58 AM

Welcome to the board. Not sure what area you live in but you might want to find a local quilt store (LQS) and see what advice they could give you. It is hard sometimes to see things thru photos. The quilt will need a good pressing. So much to learn. I sewed since I was a child but started to wonder into quilting in the 80s. It doesn't look that hard of a quilt with mostly I would stitch in the ditch (SITD: between seams). Your LQS may be able to refer you to someone who could professionally quilt it.

Pinkiris 02-09-2015 09:35 PM

Whatever you decide to do with the quilting, don't wash the top before quilting it! It will become a string- laden mess that will require a lot of trimming before you can do anything with it!
With that being said, please keep us posted on the end result.
Congratulations on completing your schooling :thumbup: