Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! First Quilt Ever! Part 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-first-quilt-ever-part-2-a-t259798.html)

Aszule 01-16-2015 10:34 AM

Help! First Quilt Ever! Part 2

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Quilters!

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking for advice on making a one block wonder quilt for my best friend who is pregnant, I got so much helpful feedback so I thought I'd give a quick update :) All of my supplies arrived in the mail, and I got my fabric yesterday (found it at Joann... it was on sale and $3 a yard cheaper than I found online). I stayed up until 1:30 in the morning cutting out the triangles to make blocks. It was a little stressful trying to make sure that I was super accurate and that my ruler didn't slip while I cut (wine bottles as weights helped). I cut half of the fabric last night and got 34 blocks out of the material, so I'll have 68 blocks once I cut the other half. Fun!:o

Also, has anyone tried to cancel an order with Fabric.com, I had to argue with a lady for a REALLY long time to get her to talk to her supervisor and cancel my order. She tried to tell me that the order was already being cut, and that I would just have to return it after I received it. Eventually I argued long enough and they let me cancel it. If you are going to cut it and ship it to me, only to have it returned, it shouldn't matter if it is cut yet or not.... Ugh. I know they are banking on me not returning it (which is totally something I would do) but thats just silly.:hunf:

ManiacQuilter2 01-16-2015 11:11 AM

Wow, if you are a new quilter and you have cut triangles, take things slow because you will working with bias edges. Triangles are sometimes difficult to line up because of the 1/4" overhang. You might check to see if there is a u-tube video from Fons & Porter dealing with triangles because they have done this type of quilts before. GOOD luck. I have only order once from Fabric.com. My favorite online store is Fabric Shack.

Annie68 01-16-2015 11:15 AM

I think that was a bit presumptuous of you to expect them to cancel the order without an argument. You were fortunate that they did. Most places, once it's cut it's yours, no refund!

Aszule 01-16-2015 11:18 AM

It wasn't cut. They have a policy that allows you to return your fabric after they ship it to you for a full refund within 30 days. I just wanted to skip shipping and returning process. It saves them shipping costs, and saves me a headache. I would understand if they had a no return policy, but they didn't. Also, I was trying to cancel an order I had made 3 hours before... I sincerely doubt they had already cut it.

Aszule 01-16-2015 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7050238)
Wow, if you are a new quilter and you have cut triangles, take things slow because you will working with bias edges. Triangles are sometimes difficult to line up because of the 1/4" overhang. You might check to see if there is a u-tube video from Fons & Porter dealing with triangles because they have done this type of quilts before. GOOD luck. I have only order once from Fabric.com. My favorite online store is Fabric Shack.

I did go slow :) Took me 3.5 hours to cut all of that :)

Tartan 01-16-2015 11:42 AM

​You go girl! Handle your triangles gently and I will be looking forward to seeing your top!

Dina 01-16-2015 11:59 AM

What a sweet picture.....fabric cut out and ready to be sewn. I still love that fabric. Makes me want to just jump in and go! Enjoy the process.

Dina

Jan in VA 01-16-2015 12:21 PM

You'll do fine with this!

And, in reference the fabric order, nothing ventured, nothing gained. right? It ALWAYS is a good thing to question the clerk in customer service; I rarely end a CS discussion with just the first person I speak with. Managers have much more autonomy than their underlings; just as presidents/CEOs have more authority than their managers. It NEVER hurts to take your requests higher. THAT is just doing business, it is NOT presumptuous or rude, it's business. Only the manner of your speaking can be rude and you don't have to go there when being persistent.

Jan in VA

Susann 01-16-2015 12:23 PM

Gooooooo, Aszule, Go-cheering you on!!!! Take it slow, have fun, can't wait to see it!!!

woody 01-16-2015 12:26 PM

Great job so far. When I arrange the triangles into blocks I use a big stack of paper plates. I arrange them the way I want and they all stay on their individual paper plates until I have the 2 halves ready to put on the design wall.