Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with flannel quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-flannel-quilt-t114910.html)

sew_southern 04-09-2011 10:16 PM

I've made a flannel quilt top out of unwashed scraps from DD's pj pants, I made it extra large to allow for shrinkage when washed. My problem is I don't know what fabric to use for the backing, flannel or regular cotton? Do I wash that fabric first or wait until after it's quilted and let it all shrink together? Maybe I should wash the top first then put a backing on it? I also plan to use a low loft batting with simple, basic quilting, so it won't be to heavy. Normally I wash my quilt fabric when I bring it home, but I cut these scraps about 10 years ago with no thought to quilting them. All ideas will be appreciated, thanks.

purplemem 04-09-2011 10:29 PM

Use unwashed flannel for the back, quilt together without batting, and wash all at one time. This will still be a very heavy, warm quilt.

d.rickman 04-09-2011 10:50 PM

My daughter kept all the grandsons PJ's, housecoats, and flannel boxers since they were babies, and presented the large black garbage bags with about 60 items, I washed them all, scavenged what I could (remember these are boys, so lots of holes and tears), ended up with enough flannel to make a quilt for each of the 3 boys.

I found a really fuzzy blanket at Cosco, took it over to my longarm person, and she put it onto the flannel top - no batting - she was concerned that it may stretch, telling me after she had stitched it all, that it was no problem for longarm quilting. It turned out really lovely, not heavy, but very warm according to the boys.
My youngest grandson told me "It is the best blankie ever". Just another idea for you.

carolaug 04-10-2011 01:27 AM

Flannel shrinks alot...I always wash it first. The one time I did not I regretted it...it pulls at the thread...After that I wash everything...when you wash the quilt it will still have the cringle affect....from the batting since it shrinks. I figure that I put way too much time into the quilts to have it get ruined in the wash.

jmabby 04-10-2011 01:34 AM

Did you take any photos, would like to see them. I like the idea of using the boys pajamas to make a quilt

d.rickman 04-10-2011 07:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jmabby
Did you take any photos, would like to see them. I like the idea of using the boys pajamas to make a quilt

Two of the quilts were much the same, so only posting two. We didn't tell the boys and when we gave them the quilts, they recognized some of the flannel, and were very pleased that their mother had thought to do that for them.

amma 04-10-2011 11:30 AM

If the flannel was unwashed that you used in the top, I would use unwashed flannel for the back. :D:D:D
If you use unwashed/washed quilting cotton, it probably won't shrink the same and you may end up with a lot of distortion

quiltmaker 04-11-2011 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Use unwashed flannel for the back, quilt together without batting, and wash all at one time. This will still be a very heavy, warm quilt.

This is what I would do....you want the flannels to shrink together rather than washing only one side. This will be a really nice cozy quilt.

quiltmaker 04-11-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by amma
If the flannel was unwashed that you used in the top, I would use unwashed flannel for the back. :D:D:D
If you use unwashed/washed quilting cotton, it probably won't shrink the same and you may end up with a lot of distortion

This is correct!

Justquilting 04-11-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by amma

This is what I do!
I've done the half washed half unwashed thing and it wasn't pretty!!!
I've learned the hard way! :oops: