Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Fleece. Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-fleece-please-t158732.html)

BrendaK 10-07-2011 12:36 PM

I am making a reversiable fleece quilt for a fishing friend to take with him when he stays on the boat. One side has many fish hooks and the other side has fish. My problem is that the fleece side with the fish is in two pieces. I need to attach the two together, in a way that is not noticeable. These two pieces were the last in the store. I have read here that there is a fusible fabric that can do this. Does anyone know what it is? I can connect the two pieces on the wrong side no problem, since this side will be on the inside it doesn't matter if the stiches show. I need to know how to do it on the right side so the stiches don't show. I don't want the fish side to pull apart and as I said I want to make sure that the stiching doesn't show. I hope what I said make sense to you all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. BrendaK :XD:

Grace MooreLinker 10-07-2011 12:45 PM

never stiched 2 together on the right side , always the wrong side and double stiched or flat felt seams..

QuiltE 10-07-2011 12:47 PM

Why not put a row of fish hooks or another fabric in between the two sections?

If you're worried about it looking patched, then maybe cut it into 4 or 8 etc. and join them back together. That way it'll look as though that was your plan; and help camouflage the join.

BrendaK 10-07-2011 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Why not put a row of fish hooks or another fabric in between the two sections?

If you're worried about it looking patched, then maybe cut it into 4 or 8 etc. and join them back together. That way it'll look as though that was your plan; and help camouflage the join.

I guess that I had brain fade. The fleece with the hooks is a different color that the fish fleece. I did think about that. Told my husband and then the ideas started to fly. Do you think if I used another strip or two of blue fleece that the seams would be too bulky? Maybe I could sew some navy cotton or do you think that it needs to be fleece also? Thanks I knew that someone would give me a jolt. BrendaK

Crqltr 10-07-2011 01:06 PM

Are you going to quilt it together? If so, could you sew the two together, then quilt it so that the line holding the two pieces together looks like part of the quilting?

BrendaK 10-07-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
Are you going to quilt it together? If so, could you sew the two together, then quilt it so that the line holding the two pieces together looks like part of the quilting?

:-P Thanks another good idea. I don't know how to do FMQ, but I have done long lines in a diamond shape. That might work. Thanks BrendaK

QuiltE 10-07-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr

ITA ....
If you're putting the two together, you need to join them somehow, whether by machine stitching or by tying. The join could be easily worked into the quilting, with stitching on top of it.

ckcowl 10-07-2011 02:21 PM

just put the two sides together- right sides together- and sew a seam-press open to reduce the bulk- a 1/2" seam is best--when the quilt is all together and quilted you will not notice the seam- just like peicing any quilt back.

spartan quilter 10-07-2011 02:39 PM

I have joined 2 pieces of fleece, by machine, using about a half inch seam, press it open, and then secure it down with about 1 1/2 to 2 inch strip of lightweight fusible lining. That way, when you quilt over the top of the seam, it won't roll on you. That has worked for me, and I have done it several times.