Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Free-motion quilting Breaking too many needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-free-motion-quilting-breaking-too-many-needles-t31947.html)

Hinterland 12-20-2009 08:32 AM

This wouldn't be a Sapphire would it? I have one, and had the same trouble.

Check that the thread isn't getting hung up somewhere along the thread path - it can even snag on the spool. If you have the spool on the horizontal spindle, try the vertical. A separate thread holder might help, too.

It's also possible that you nicked the needle plate after you broke a needle. You can use crocus cloth - a very, very fine sandpaper - to smooth out any burrs you might feel.

If this is a Sapphire, make sure it's set up for free motion quilting. There's an item in the tools section for "pivot height," and you can try to set this to -2 --that hint is actually buried in the users manual.

I hope this helps - good luck.

Janet

LindaR 12-20-2009 08:38 AM

in the juki machine on the grace quilter I use 16/18 needles....after the quilt relaxes the holes don't stand out.

sandpat 12-20-2009 04:25 PM

Loretta is absolutely right...you need to try all these things, then you need to "hold your mouth just right"..well, thats what my Mom used to always say..

ddrobins1956 12-20-2009 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Loretta is absolutely right...you need to try all these things, then you need to "hold your mouth just right"..well, thats what my Mom used to always say..

and then stick your tongue out the corner of your mouth just the tiniest bit.....lol. Good luck , hope you figure out the problem, it can be very frustrating.

amma 12-20-2009 05:45 PM

I have been using size 90 topstitch needles... they seem to do well for me, and also if I choose to FMQ with embroidery threads.
Thank you for answering my question :D:D:D

Dani 12-20-2009 10:04 PM

Are you quilting too fast. I was having trouble with thread breaking and I think I am quilting too fast. Quilting slower gives you more control too.

pam1966 12-21-2009 12:30 AM

thanks for asking this question, I've been having the same problem but just on one particular quilt. I never thought of using a denim needle. It's a Christmas quilt (well not gonna be done this year!) and I used some cheap polyester batting because it's just a wall hanging, plus some thick muslin for the backing. I'm going to pick up some denim needles and give it another try.

hsquiltingmom 12-21-2009 10:05 AM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I got some very very fine sandpaper, and smoothed out the throat plate. I did try a size 16 jeans needle, and my thread kept fraying, so I went back to a 14 quilting needle, and I did not break a needle at all. When I told my dh about some of the suggestions, he liked the sandpaper idea, so that was one of the first things I tried this morning.

This board is wonderful with so many knowledgeable people on it.

Thanks again

GiGi 12-21-2009 06:53 PM

Fast feet, slow hands. If you are moving your fabric too fast, your needle will break. Slow your hands down and see if it helps. Thanks, GG

Extreme Quilter 12-22-2009 06:03 AM

My bobbin winder on my Viking Designer I sometimes winds threads too tightly. If I happen to be free motion quilting quickly, the bobbin thread pulls on the needle and causes it to break. If I unwind a few inches of thread from the bottom and cut it off, I'm sometimes lucky enough to reach a part of the bottom that has been wound better and then my fmq goes smoothly. If not, I change my bobbin and try again.