Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Frustration reigns! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-frustration-reigns-t98438.html)

ginnie6 02-10-2011 06:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to fmq and I keep breaking thread. Ibunches up right before the needle eye. I've tried 3 different spools and a new needle. Its not the machine its me. When I put the regular foot on everything sews fine. So what am I doing wrong? Here's what I am attempting. See this block? I'm trying to outline it and do triangles in the triangles. I just did meandering with no problems. I finished up this block with the regular foot on and it was a pain turning it so much. Can anyone help?

block that is giving me a hard time
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164174[/ATTACH]

meandering I just did
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164185[/ATTACH]

C.quilts 02-10-2011 06:08 AM

If I read this correctly the thread is bunching up before it goes through the needle eye? If that's the case, you need a larger needle to accommodate the thread.

When you start moving in a direction that is not straight the thread and needle will deflect or bend as you move the fabric. Thus a larger needle will be more sturdy and deflect less.

ginnie6 02-10-2011 06:10 AM

it only does it when I have fm foot on though.....doing a straight stitch it is fine...I've got some 16's and am using either an 11 or 14. I changed to a "quilting" needle and had the same issue.

suezquilts 02-10-2011 06:21 AM

I agree about the needle size, when I'm working normally I use a 16 (on longarm) when there is flannel or lots of thick seams I may use an 18.

It doesn't look like the center of the triangles would need a bigger needle. so that stumps me.

But I wonder if your feed dogs are interfering somehow, fmq, do you drop your feed dogs
straight stitching, you use your feed dogs

check out the dogs... are they up and down at the right time.

Jerudy 02-10-2011 06:38 AM

C.quilts..... I love your Brittany, I own 3 of those beauties and usually have a few fosters around the house, all of them rescued. I just have to figure out how to add them to my avatar.

Jerudy

ginnie6 02-10-2011 07:05 AM

ok I've just decided to quit for the day! I've rethreaded, changed needles, changed thread, checked the feed dogs,...everything I could think of. I moved the quilt and put in a practice sandwich.....perfect stitches. So until I can get an 18 needle I am stuck. The quilt is thick....poly blanket for batting and flannel backing. I just don't see why it did one square perfectly and is now balking. Maybe Sue is just being contrary. Whatever i am NOT going to frustrate myself endlessly. If I have to I will pull my other machine out and quilt it on that. Meantime I will piece blocks.

Prism99 02-10-2011 07:43 AM

What brand and size of thread are you using? What type and size of needle? It could be a mismatch between the thread and needle. According to Superior Threads, FMQ is best done with a fairly large topstitching needle. Superior has different recommendations for a domestic machine and longarm machine. If I can find their educational article on this topic, I will post a link here.

OK. Here's their article on needles:
http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...e-right-needle

They have many other articles that may relate to your problem too.

ginnie6 02-10-2011 07:45 AM

so I didn't quit......its the embroidery foot. I tried fmq with the straight stitch foot and it does great! So.....one problem solved. Now to try and find an emdroidery foot that will work with this machine. I know what not to buy.

Prism99 02-10-2011 07:50 AM

Oh, my. I never would have guessed it was the foot.

suezquilts 02-10-2011 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
ok I've just decided to quit for the day! I've rethreaded, changed needles, changed thread, checked the feed dogs,...everything I could think of. I moved the quilt and put in a practice sandwich.....perfect stitches. So until I can get an 18 needle I am stuck. The quilt is thick....poly blanket for batting and flannel backing. I just don't see why it did one square perfectly and is now balking. Maybe Sue is just being contrary. Whatever i am NOT going to frustrate myself endlessly. If I have to I will pull my other machine out and quilt it on that. Meantime I will piece blocks.

Not sure why you would think I'm being contrary... I am thinking out loud, I am not sure what the dogs do on the machine when you are FMQ. My feed dogs on my DSM are worn and had to be adjusted this past week, so all problems go to the dogs for me. LOL
Best of Luck,
sue