Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help getting mad odors out of quilt blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-getting-mad-odors-out-quilt-blocks-t250836.html)

cherylrom 07-27-2014 08:40 AM

Help getting mad odors out of quilt blocks

At a yard sale on Friday I was so excited to buy two large zip lock bags with partially made quilt blocks, one for $5 and the other $1. But when I opened them they have terrible odors. I don't want to wash everything because all the blocks are cut, some partially made and the bindings are even made and pressed. I've tried Fabreeze, but when I pressed a couple of blocks this morning, the smell is terrible. I'm taking everything outside to lay on the picnic table. Any ideas as to how to remove the odors of cigarettes and old house smell.

newbee3 07-27-2014 08:48 AM

I WOULD THINK putting them outside for a few days will do the trick

bearisgray 07-27-2014 08:48 AM

It is possible to wash small pieces of fbric. I have done it many times.

I sort the pieces and put like colors together so that if one of them is a bleeder, it won't change the colors of the other fabics much.

Washing with detergrnt and drying the pieces is the most effective way that I know of getting the fabric to smell better.

If the odor is really bad. It might have to be washed and drried twice.

BETTY62 07-27-2014 08:55 AM

I often wash small pieces and orphan blocks found at garage sales or thrift stores in a small net bag on the delicate cycle. I have not had a problem with the edges fraying.

tessagin 07-27-2014 08:56 AM

I would soak them in Arm and Hammer baking soda and swish a little. You may want to add some vinegar or ammonia. Do this soaking for a couple hours or more. Then rinse well and soak again in Dawn and swish again. Then squeeze the Dawn out and rinse well. You may want to use a bucket of warm water to rinse. When you squeeze the rinse water out you should be able to see a color in the rinse water. Continue to do this til the water is clear. Good luck.

Jo C 07-27-2014 09:11 AM

I got some at a huge annual flea market in VA. I just went ahead and made them into a quilt. Then washed the whole quilt. They would have frayed badly if i had washed them first, i think.

Prism99 07-27-2014 09:26 AM

I would invest in several sets of OdorEaters shoe inserts -- the ones that have charcoal in them. Close up the fabric in a bag with the inserts for a couple of weeks; the charcoal should absorb the off-odors.

This worked for my featherweight case after trying *numerous* other tips such as dryer sheets, soap bars, sitting out in the sunlight for days, etc. Those shoe inserts took away every bit of the musty odor that was in the box.

You can try airing the pieces out for several days (in the shade so the fabrics don't fade). If you're still not satisfied, I would try the OdorEaters.

KwiltyKahy 07-27-2014 09:37 AM

OdorEaters sounds like a winner. I have used charcoal that worked pretty well but it is really hard to find without starter fluid already in it.

QUILTNMO 07-27-2014 09:39 AM

maybe hang them in fresh air?

citruscountyquilter 07-27-2014 09:59 AM

I had a similar experience and I put them outside and that took care of it. It took several days of fresh air but I got them smelling fresh so I could stand working with them. I had tried spraying them with Fabreze but that didn't work and I didn't want to wash them because of the small parts. I'm sure my neighbors wondered what I was doing having them draped all over chairs and such on my lanai.