Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Hairball Horror!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-hairball-horror-t144954.html)

redbugsullivan 08-14-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I found a groomer that does cats! It's worth the money. I have four outside cats and one inside. The inside one gets groomed once every six weeks. The outside ones, spring and fall. The inside cat with all the grooming and eating only holistic cat food still has hairballs. The vet said that was unavoidable to have at least very small hairball deposits, so it's not a matter of preventing it altogether. Hairballs usually don't smell so there could be some anywhere you can't see if you have an inside cat.

All our kitties are indoor only and eat only the "best for them" food. The yack-cat cannot tolerate being groomed. She was hurt by a car fan as a youngster so her back and hips are no-touch zones. Part Siamese, she goes from happy cat to :evil: in about 2 seconds if folks aren't careful. Her favorite place is curled in my sewing room chair. So, her deposit was logical!

annthreecats 08-14-2011 04:24 PM

I use "Nature's Miracle" for cat yack. It works great on carpet and bedding I bought at JCPenney.

I hope you can get the quilt clean.

sarahconner 08-14-2011 08:39 PM

I agree with a few other quilters, finish the quilt and pretreat with maybe (the gel) shout stuff. Good luck

Bluelady 08-14-2011 08:50 PM

I use Natures Miracle for cat stains. But my cat has to eat a special prescription cat food (CD) and it has no additives or dyes, so the stains are just a dull yellow that is easily removed when he yacks. A lot depends on the kind of cat food you use. If you feed them kibble that has been dyed to LOOk good, such as "Kit and Kaboodle" or "Whiskas" (there are many others, just cant think of them all!), then you will get very reddish brown highly staining yacks!
So better food = easier to clean yacks.

MadQuilter 08-14-2011 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ruthie
Try oxyclean, it is a wizard with organic stains. Just disolve a tbls in a half cup of very hot water. Pour it over the stain and watch it dissapear. I use it on all my pet stains.

I have had real good luck with Oxyclean too. I even have a large spraybottle of it to use as pretreater.

We do use Nature's Miracle on the carpet but I don't know what that would do on a quilt top. You may want to read the description because it is an emzyme-killing product.

threads57 08-15-2011 05:13 AM

I would try the above mentioned ideas, if there is a stain on the fabric, use a bar of Sunlight Laundry soap. Gently cover the spots with soap while wet and leave in the sun. Continue to check it, if the fabric dries, soak it again and reapply the soap. Rinse and repeat. Recently did this with a 80 year old christening gown.

fudge and furs 08-15-2011 06:42 AM

This also may work. White vinegar/water 1/2-1/2. Soak with cotton balls and rub. Vinegar odor dissipates when dry. Try it on a piece of fabric first.

redbugsullivan 08-21-2011 01:37 PM

Nothing worked! I used Oxi-clean and even scrubbed a bit, then let it sit for a while prior to washing. There is an orange tint and I'm scared to death to bleach it!!!

Right now, it is sitting on the side of the washing machine resprayed, soaking up more Oxi. It's all ready to be bound. I zig-zagged the edges together prior to washing to keep the parts together. At least THAT held up just fine!

Short an Sweet 08-21-2011 01:41 PM

I LOVE the Awesome cleaner

Originally Posted by MTS
Amma has been recommending something called Awesome on a few threads recently.
http://www.awesome-cleaner.com/
But she said it's also available at the Dollar store. I haven't yet tried it but a few here have for other disasters and raved about the results.

Note to self: Stop at Dollar Tree tomorrow

redbugsullivan 08-21-2011 03:00 PM

Oxy-clean did the job the second time around!! There is one slightly orangey spot about the size of a sesame seed right next to a seam but drying should pucker that thing invisible.

Thank you to everyone for the positive thoughts and suggestions! The Hairball Horror is through.