Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help-hand embroidery thread question? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-hand-embroidery-thread-question-t183026.html)

GreatStarter 03-16-2012 01:57 PM

Help-hand embroidery thread question?

Does anyone know what I should do to make DMC embroidery thread so it won't bleed? I am ready to start the blocks for a Chickadee Hallow Pattern set of snowpeople who are quilting. However I don't remember how to treat the thread before so the quilt can be washed when needed. Past experience taught me that some colors will bleed. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Kat

skrucker 03-16-2012 06:46 PM

Soaking in vinigar water will set the color in any fabric; I don't see why it wouldn't work for embroidery thread, too.

Tartan 03-16-2012 07:59 PM

I always test a little chunk of embroidery thread before I use it even if it says colourfast. I take about 6 inches and put it in hot water. I put the little wad of thread out on a folded white paper towel to completely dry. I examine the paper towel after the thread wad is dry to see if any colour has come out onto the paper towel. If it bleeds, I don't use it.

jaciqltznok 03-16-2012 08:11 PM

I would just test it first. I have not had any of my DMC bleed!

GrannieAnnie 03-16-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter (Post 5065844)
Does anyone know what I should do to make DMC embroidery thread so it won't bleed? I am ready to start the blocks for a Chickadee Hallow Pattern set of snowpeople who are quilting. However I don't remember how to treat the thread before so the quilt can be washed when needed. Past experience taught me that some colors will bleed. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Kat

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had DMC bleed.

ckcowl 03-17-2012 01:14 AM

gosh-i've been using dmc floss for 40+ years and have never had any bleed---do a color test- if it does bleed i simply would not use it-
the comment about vinegar----used to be the case-20 years ago---but the dyes used now days do not set with vinegar---the chemicals have been changed- the dyes that could be set with vinegar were acid dyes that are no longer used---due to safety - rule changes- so adding vinegar may freshen your fabric/act as a softener-but will have no effect at all on setting the color. you can use retayne, or rinse until no color comes off with color catchers---i've never known a need to pre-wash embroidery floss.

Drue 03-17-2012 04:19 AM

I have been using DMC forever...maybe 50 years and have never had a problem with it bleeding. I also do Counted Cross Stitch and sometimes wash the finished works if they become dingy, like on pillows, etc. Guess if you have some qualms about it, soak it in vinegar water or color catcher or something like that and then lay it out to dry before using it. If you're not using DMC embroidery threads, then maybe they do bleed...I have no idea about the other brands.

ka9sdn 03-17-2012 05:12 AM

I had posted a few weeks back about this same thing. I broke down and bought a kit and it said to prewash my DMC which everyone on this site thought was odd. I have not had time to work on it yet but I will test each color to be sure it is color fast.

GrannieAnnie 03-17-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Drue (Post 5067103)
I have been using DMC forever...maybe 50 years and have never had a problem with it bleeding. I also do Counted Cross Stitch and sometimes wash the finished works if they become dingy, like on pillows, etc. Guess if you have some qualms about it, soak it in vinegar water or color catcher or something like that and then lay it out to dry before using it. If you're not using DMC embroidery threads, then maybe they do bleed...I have no idea about the other brands.

I have to clean counted cross stitch items after completing. Never had DMC bleed. (30 years at least)

GreatStarter 03-17-2012 04:57 PM

Thank you all for the responses. I used to do a huge amount of counted cross stitch and only ever used DMC, I owned every color they made at that time. (20-30 yrs ago) It never bleed until one project, it was ruined. I was shocked, but learned a valuable lesson. After posting my question on here I went to the DMC forums and searched. Found a few other people who had DMC bleed, (even though the company apparently insists they never heard of such a thing happening). Finally I have decided the best way to be safe is to cut a small piece of each DMC floss I am going to use for my next project, soak it in hot water, then put it on a white paper towel and let it dry. If it is going to bleed, it should show on the white paper towel. Tartan also recommended this method-thank you!
It's much better to be safe than to end up with a ruined project. I love this board for all the ideas and experiences of others.
Thanks,
Kat