Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Have my first homespun fq's. . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-have-my-first-homespun-fqs-t70426.html)

merrylouw 10-16-2010 04:40 AM

Should I pre-wash them? Do they shrink much? Should I use spray starch on them (I haven't used starch before.)
They are plaids and checks, I'm really excited about working with them!
Thanks for your help. :lol:

grammyp 10-16-2010 04:44 AM

Personally I would wash them, but then I wash all my fabric. I love my starch, too, so starch before cutting.

bearisgray 10-16-2010 05:06 AM

I would zigzag or overcast the edges before washing - I think some homespuns tend to ravel easily

cbridges22 10-16-2010 05:17 AM

I have discovered the joy of spray starch so yes use it.It makes your fabric lay flat for more accurate cutting and ease of piecing.I am a convert after joining this board to starch.

winia 10-16-2010 05:53 AM

I received fabric strips from Homespun, and I did what I thought would be a no-brainer. I washed the strips. The fabric unraveled on the edges unbelievably. It was incredible how much time it took me to cut away the unraveled part and get the strips back to what they should have been in the first place. I would NOT wash them before I made the quilt. I would wait to wash the quilt until it is finished. Either that or use a serger to go around the fabric before you put it near a washing machine. I also washed it on a delicate cycle.

Baysidegal 10-16-2010 06:07 AM

I always wash everything when I bring it home..However, I too have had a lot of problems with strips. They unravel so much that it tangles badly. Having said that, any fabric will unravel..I find that better quality fabrics don't as much

pjustice63 10-16-2010 06:13 AM

I agree. Homespun is going to ravel very badly. I have made two quilts with homespuns , did not prewash, and they turned out beautifully. No problems when I washed the quilts. One was for my grandson and it has been washed many times.

littlehud 10-16-2010 06:21 PM

I would not wash them before using. Just my opinion though.

IBQUILTIN 10-16-2010 08:38 PM

I would stay stitch the raw edges and wash it. Always works for me

jljack 10-16-2010 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by winia
I received fabric strips from Homespun, and I did what I thought would be a no-brainer. I washed the strips. The fabric unraveled on the edges unbelievably. It was incredible how much time it took me to cut away the unraveled part and get the strips back to what they should have been in the first place. I would NOT wash them before I made the quilt. I would wait to wash the quilt until it is finished. Either that or use a serger to go around the fabric before you put it near a washing machine. I also washed it on a delicate cycle.

Yep...I agree. Woven fabrics are extremely unpredictable in the ravelling area.....some will be OK, others will completely disintegrate. Woven is the key word...homespuns are much looser weave than other cottons, which allows them to come apart much more.