Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with how to cut a length of fabric border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-cut-length-fabric-border-t252167.html)

blondeslave 08-20-2014 05:30 AM

help with how to cut a length of fabric border

I've tried looking online for either a tutorial or instructions on how to cut a length of fabric border but nothing i've found so far is helpful. I have a directional fabric I want to cut length of fabric but don't have a lot of extra fabric and want to do it right the first time.

nativetexan 08-20-2014 05:32 AM

well i've torn some the length, then trimmed the torn edge off. (that's how I cut my thumb badly, he, he.)

Tartan 08-20-2014 06:09 AM

The first thing to do is measure the border fabric from the selvage to see if it is running straight. This will determine if you need to cut it slightly off grain to keep the pattern straight. I usually over cut the width of long fabric pieces using the selvage on one side. After the rough cut is done, I put in a few pins in that edge to keep it from moving, I trim off the selvage edge.

bearisgray 08-20-2014 06:25 AM

Depending on the design, make sure that you note where the repeats are - and plan accordingly.

I prefer to have all four sides have the "same" part of the design showing - or at least have opposite sides have the same.

I think it looks "odd" when one side is different from the rest of them.

Even some patterned - supposedly all-over - prints, have subtle striping in them.

NikkiLu 08-20-2014 06:34 AM

OMG - I would never have thought of this. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6852281)
Depending on the design, make sure that you note where the repeats are - and plan accordingly.

I prefer to have all four sides have the "same" part of the design showing - or at least have opposite sides have the same.

I think it looks "odd" when one side is different from the rest of them.

Even some patterned - supposedly all-over - prints, have subtle striping in them.

feline fanatic 08-20-2014 06:44 AM

Any time I have had directional fabric I want to cut length for border I do one layer. no folds and just slide the fabric along as I cut it, 24" at a time (that is my longest ruler size.). If it is a border print I follow the border design, even if it is printed slightly off grain. If it is a directional design, I also cut a single layer but use my ruler, not the printed design.

Sewnoma 08-20-2014 06:55 AM

I'm a ripper for borders. But I'm usually using a solid where the print doesn't matter.

Terri D. 08-20-2014 07:30 AM

When I did this for my mom's quilt, I laid the fabric out on a flat surface (floor, kitchen island, conference table at work--whatever you can find). Using a 6" x 24" ruler, I drew a chalk line all the way down the first side of the area I wanted to capture (I was cutting parallel to the selvage as I didn't want seams in this border). Once I had the first side marked all the way down the length of the fabric, I measured over the desired width and drew the second line. Once both chalk lines were in place, I could then draw the other three in the same position relative to the print across the rest of the fabric.

It took a fair amount of time (and hyperventilating!) to avoid a cutting mistake (I had just enough fabric but not enough to correct if I miscut). In the end, it was worth the effort because the flowers in the print are centered in the border's width, which was the goal.

Good luck with your border!

NJ Quilter 08-20-2014 09:42 AM

Couple of thoughts here. First, do you have a reasonably large piece of the same fabric that you can tear to see if the design is printed on grain? If so, once tested I would then tear my border lengths with a tad extra on width to trim torn edges. If you are looking to get a specific section of the directional print lined up with your quilt, I would also do as Terri D suggests re measuring. But instead of cutting, if the design is printed correctly relative to the grain of the fabric I would still tear. If the design is printed off-grain, then I would follow Terri D's recommendations.

blondeslave 08-20-2014 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by blondeslave (Post 6852178)
I've tried looking online for either a tutorial or instructions on how to cut a length of fabric border but nothing i've found so far is helpful. I have a directional fabric I want to cut length of fabric but don't have a lot of extra fabric and want to do it right the first time.

Adding a picture of part of the quilt and the border fabric.