Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help... how do I set colors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-do-i-set-colors-t136805.html)

ratz29 07-11-2011 08:11 AM

I'm almost fifnised piecing a bitak top and while pressing I noticed some bleeding of color. Is there a way to set the colors? This is for a gift and I was planing to wash before I give it but I believe I've heard soaking it in vingar to set it. If that's the way I need to know the ratio. Any help would be great.
Vicky

amma 07-11-2011 08:13 AM

Synthropol and Retayne are good to use when working with batiks :D:D:D

Prism99 07-11-2011 08:20 AM

Retayne sets unset dye; however, it is typically used on fabric yardage before the fabric is cut for piecing. This is because any bleeds into other fabrics will be permanently set.

The usual treatment for a quilt top like yours is to wash the finished quilt with Synthrapol. Synthrapol is designed to suspend unset dye particles in water so they can be rinsed away instead of settling into other fabrics. For this you need to use hot water and the biggest washing machine you can find -- so there is lots of water for the unset dye to stay suspended. You can also toss in lots of color catchers (in lingerie bags so they don't shred).

Vinegar and salt set some types of organic dyes; however, almost all dyes used now commercially are chemical dyes which require chemical setting agents.

Your bleeding fabric is most likely one that is over-saturated with dye (more dye than the fabric fibers can absorb). A few washings with Synthrapol are likely to take care of this problem.

Less common, although it still happens, is a dye that has not been properly set in the factory. This type of fabric can continue to bleed with every washing unless the dye is permanently set with Retayne. Some fabrics require two treatments with Retayne.

ratz29 07-11-2011 08:43 AM

Thanks. I guess I'm running to the store. I actually wouldn't mind some bleeding as the pattern is Island Sunshine. I don't want to take the chance of too much.
It's so nice to know where to go for help and get answers so fast. Thanks again. I'll post the picture when (if) I get it done.
Vicky

scrapngmom 07-11-2011 08:48 AM

I have a high efficiancy washer that uses very little water. Can you still use Synthrepol in the washer or do I need to go to the laundry mat??? And, can I use it in the washers in the laundry mat???

Prism99 07-11-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by scrapngmom
I have a high efficiancy washer that uses very little water. Can you still use Synthrepol in the washer or do I need to go to the laundry mat??? And, can I use it in the washers in the laundry mat???

Others have posted information from online sources that say HE washers do not use enough water for either Retayne or Synthrapol. They are both safe to use at the laundromat. The easiest machines on a quilt are the large front-loaders.

blueangel 07-11-2011 05:47 PM

I use retayne.