Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! How do you remove pencil marks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-do-you-remove-pencil-marks-t43256.html)

meemersmom 04-20-2010 03:14 PM

You might also give good old fashioned Fels Naptha a try. It is my "go-to" for all sorts of stains and spots. And, it's still less than a dollar at my grocery store. Give me a bar of that and an old, stiff tooth brush, and I can get anything out. Good luck!!

nativetexan 04-20-2010 03:51 PM

i left pencil marks in a quilt (one for marking quilts) and soaked it in Oxy clean. rubbed with my fingers. the marks came out. erasing never worked for me so i don't use pencils anymore even if they are meant for marking quilts.

Debbie1219 04-20-2010 03:59 PM

I just read this on the newsletter from Quilted Paradise that handles this board. I've not tried it, but it gives you another option.

"What can you do when your quilting pencil marks do not come out? I've even tried a different pencil. Kathy

Subscriber comments:
To remove pencilled quilting marks, try the following: 6 T. alcohol, 2 T. water, 2 drops liquid soap. Use an old toothbrush.
Marilyn"

farmer623 04-20-2010 07:24 PM

Well, I've tried several things--the Grandma's stuff came closer than anything. I also used the alcohol, water and dishwashing liquid recipe. I was hesitant to use anything with hydrogen peroxide in it because the pencil was not only in the white parts, but in some of the colored ones, too. I ceded defeat this afternoon and have spent this evening stitching a backstitch with colored embroidery thread around the worst parts along the quilting lines. It's sort of artsy looking, and maybe won't be too bad, but it will take me a while to get it done. This was the first and the last time I used a pencil to mark a quilt. I'm not sure what we're supposed to use a quilter's pencil for, but it's not to mark a quilt. Thank you all for all your suggestions. I won't be a lurker anymore.

CAROLJ 04-20-2010 10:31 PM

Use a gum or artist eraser, it may work. Don't use the pink erasers they leave a stain, the gum eraser will fall part as you use it

zyxquilts 04-21-2010 04:12 PM

This was in the latest e-newsletter from my LQS:
Combine three parts rubbing alcohol, one part water, and a squirt of CLEAR dish detergent to make a solution to remove pencil marks from fabric. Saturate a cotton ball with the solution and rub over the pencil marks.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-21-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
This was in the latest e-newsletter from my LQS:
Combine three parts rubbing alcohol, one part water, and a squirt of CLEAR dish detergent to make a solution to remove pencil marks from fabric. Saturate a cotton ball with the solution and rub over the pencil marks.

thanks

Holice 04-21-2010 04:53 PM

which Fon's and Porter's markers did you use.

Holice 04-21-2010 04:55 PM

but don't use Dawn dish detergent. something in it effects the marks