Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help!! How to Enlarge a Finished Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-how-enlarge-finished-quilt-t111488.html)

Great-great granny 03-29-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by flawhoopi
Warning, I am new to posting,
My answer to a short quilt is to make a pillow cover.
I make mine 24" by how ever long it needs to be..You can make yours any size you want. It makes it easy to make your bed, you can get rid of all those extra pillows that wind up on the floor. You just move the pillow cover to the end of the bed. And the bolster covers are only good for one thing.
This also saves money$, if you put a sleeve on the back you can also use it for a valance for window or shower curtain. you can even use it for a table runner!
You can incorporate the quilt blocks, add applique, beading or you can just use the quilting pattern.
The french have a very elegant word for this but I don't remember what it is. My GGM had a very old one when i was young, that I wish I had today. Monia

LOVE your ideas flawhoopi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kutnso 03-29-2011 08:33 AM

Good, but the thing to remember is that I love our SON very, very much !!??!!
Have a pieceful day, Kutnso

waladopa 03-29-2011 08:35 AM

I say "Just make another quilt"

Kappy 03-29-2011 02:04 PM

I had the same experience except it was ME! We had a queen size bed, then we got a king size...see where this is going? LOL I loved my quilt so I took off the binding, added extra border and put binding back on. If it would have fit just on the top of the bed, I think I would have put a ruffle on 3 sides with some piping between top and ruffle, but for me, that would have been much more work!

My time 03-29-2011 03:43 PM

I would also remove the binding, which I know is a lot of work , and use the quilt as you go method. Yes I would make it 3 layers like the rest of the quilt. I just think it would look much nicer than a dust ruffle. By that's just my opinion.

DogHouseMom 03-29-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by pdcakm
lots of work, but you could........ remove the binding and use quilt as you go technique to add a border.

That's what I would do, but I hate dust ruffles :)

Stitchit123 03-29-2011 05:07 PM

I had to do that once I removed the binding and added the quilted borders to it then to hide that new seam work I hand stitched a 1inch ribbon over that then put a new binding on -and it looked like it had always been that way after 2yrs on a full size bed they got a queen Boy I was glad I over bought fabric for that one Hope it turns out good for your friend

neeng 03-29-2011 05:16 PM

I have a (gasp) purchased quilt on my bed right now. It covers the top nicely, but not the sides. So I just stitched in a dust ruffle (even found the matching fabric!) on 3 sides and it works out fine.

Quiltmaniac2010 03-29-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by neeng
I have a (gasp) purchased quilt on my bed right now. It covers the top nicely, but not the sides. So I just stitched in a dust ruffle (even found the matching fabric!) on 3 sides and it works out fine.

Wow! How lucky were you to find matching fabric??? I have to admit that I have a purchased quilt on my bed too. I have 2 very bad cats who jump up using their claws and I don't want them destroying one of my labours of love!! It's so funny - I make quilts for everyone I know, but have a purchased quilt on my own bed. LOL!!

rahaube 03-29-2011 07:30 PM

about 11 years ago I bought a comforter which covered the top of the bed and had a ruffle attached to the underside of the comforter on 3 sides. It looked very nice. When I decided to use the comforter on the futon for company, it was too long so I simply removed the ruffle and it works perfectly. I think your suggestion would work well.