Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help I did something stupid (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-did-something-stupid-t199305.html)

MillieH 09-03-2012 09:11 AM

Whoever cut this piece of fabric for you when you bought it really screwed up--and also cheated you out of usable fabric. This is one reason I always make sure I have or buy at least 1/2 yard more of large pieces of fabric.

Prism99 09-03-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W (Post 5487854)
You got it exactly, The backing is on, the quilt is quilted and I NEVER should have tried to take a short cut.

Now I have a side that is too short. can I piece the other side with a strip too so that they will match and bind?

Sure!!! Creative solutions are the best!

pollyjvan9 09-03-2012 09:31 AM

I love Prism99's suggestion. Going to try that on my next quilt!

Vicki W 09-03-2012 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 5488000)
We're you going to bring the fabric around from the back as a finishing edge? Or are you planning to actually add a separate binding? If you just tore off what you were going to wrap around, not a problem - just use a traditional binding. I guess I don't know how you were trying to tear through quilting.

I was going to pull the fabric over from the back as a finishing edge. And I really don't know know why at this point I thought I could/should tear...probably my scissors were in the other room. I did not tear into the quilted areas. I think I will try to piece a strip on both sides of the back so that it matches...Wish me luck...Won't ever do that again.

irishrose 09-03-2012 10:45 AM

You are doing fine. In a few days, you'll smile at your 'design'.

k9dancer 09-03-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5484385)
One of my favorite ways to piece a backing is to make a diagonal cut through the main fabric (not necessarily from corner to corner, just diagonal) and piece a strip of contrasting fabric in-between the cut edges. Creates a slash across the back that is quite attractive!

That is an excellent idea. I put it to you that the pieced insert would be a good label spot--large enough to put in all relevant info, and can never be removed.

Farm Quilter 09-03-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vicki W (Post 5487854)
You got it exactly, The backing is on, the quilt is quilted and I NEVER should have tried to take a short cut.

Now I have a side that is too short. can I piece the other side with a strip too so that they will match and bind?

Can you put a label in the area that is now too short? I would use the entire area that is too short to create a label , that way you don't need it to match the other side. Besides, matchy-matchy is over-rated!!! Please post pictures with your solution.

YukonViv 09-03-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MillieH (Post 5488272)
Whoever cut this piece of fabric for you when you bought it really screwed up--and also cheated you out of usable fabric. This is one reason I always make sure I have or buy at least 1/2 yard more of large pieces of fabric.

I am absolutely confused with what has happened and how others have answered. What was being torn and why?

I'm sure by now you've figured something out but you know this is going to be going round and round in my head tonight while my subconscious tries to understand!!! LOL!

I hope it has all worked out for you.

burchquilts 09-03-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl (Post 5484284)
I agree with Cheryl. But...if that doesn't work, I would cut the piece in half and use a strip of one or more of your other fabrics from the front, sewn into the middle to enlarge your piece. Then square it up and cut to size. They will think you did it on purpose to make it more interesting! Good luck!

I agree. When I'vehad a backing too small, I just added other strips to the middle of it & called it good! You can act like you meant to do that all along... LOL!

irishrose 09-04-2012 07:37 AM

She can't add in the center because it's already quilted. While trimming the quit for binding, she trimmed too much (by tearing and the grain was a little crooked), so the additions have to be on the sides. It will be fine. I'm waiting for a picture.