Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I don't have a BiRangle Ruler. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-dont-have-birangle-ruler-t33530.html)

carol45 01-07-2010 06:17 PM

So I'm making a quilt from the Joy of Quilting Book, and I got all the fabric and started cutting according to the directions. Suddenly, the directions say: follow the directions for conquering half-rectangle units on pp. 162-66, so I go to those pages and it says: place the BiRangle ruler with the diagonal line on the fold. I don't have such a ruler. Can someone tell me what angle that ruler is oriented at, and can I simply cut at that angle and be OK? I need to cut 10 left-angled and 10 right-angled rectangles that will have a final size of 2"x3 1/2". Do you think I should just do the math and figure out how to cut them individually?

dunster 01-07-2010 07:23 PM

According to this site, the BiRangle ruler is made to help you with rectangles that are twice as long as they are wide. They show a picture of one. Hopefully that will help.

littlehud 01-07-2010 08:56 PM

Yikes. Another quilting tool. Is this one worth the money I wonder.

cutebuns 01-07-2010 09:22 PM

I would just cut a rectangle that is 2"x3 1/2" and cut it on the diagonal, if your layers are facing opposite then you will get opposite facing triangles.

Bobbinwinder 01-07-2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud

Can't say for sure...have one, haven't used it. The quick rundown is cut bias strips to piece in pairs...then place ruler on strip set by lining up diagonal line on BiRangle over seam line of strip set...rotary cut around 2 sides and rotate ruler to cut around remaining 2 sides. So like squaring up a hst. There is a slight offset...if you have a set of TriRecs look at the skinny one of the two rulers...it could do the same thing, I think. Haven't used either, truthfully, but wish I had before I made so many blocks that would have worked better with either one...it's that little offset/tipclip that makes it so much easier to keep it true. If there's a method that gets me to the right size, I'll use whichever one is the easiest to attain accuracy...if it means another ruler, well, it might be worth it to avoid the aggravation/frustration of frog stitchin'.

katier825 01-08-2010 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I would just cut a rectangle that is 2"x3 1/2" and cut it on the diagonal, if your layers are facing opposite then you will get opposite facing triangles.

Woudn't she need to figure in a bit more for seam allowance like on half square triangles? I think you add 7/8 for those.

mic-pa 01-08-2010 03:16 AM

I do have the bi-angle ruler and it is nice but you could use your regular ruler to do the same as I have when I was with my quilting group and adid not have that particular ruler with me.

skjquiltnut 08-08-2010 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
So I'm making a quilt from the Joy of Quilting Book, and I got all the fabric and started cutting according to the directions. Suddenly, the directions say: follow the directions for conquering half-rectangle units on pp. 162-66, so I go to those pages and it says: place the BiRangle ruler with the diagonal line on the fold. I don't have such a ruler. Can someone tell me what angle that ruler is oriented at, and can I simply cut at that angle and be OK? I need to cut 10 left-angled and 10 right-angled rectangles that will have a final size of 2"x3 1/2". Do you think I should just do the math and figure out how to cut them individually?

I am also looking for the BiRangle ruler....have been online almost an hour with no luck.

:thumbdown:

skjquiltnut 08-08-2010 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I do have the bi-angle ruler and it is nice but you could use your regular ruler to do the same as I have when I was with my quilting group and adid not have that particular ruler with me.

OK! WoW!! Where did you buy the BiRangle ruler?? and is yours for sale? Bidding War starting right now!!! ;)

skjquiltnut 08-08-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder

Originally Posted by littlehud

Can't say for sure...have one, haven't used it. The quick rundown is cut bias strips to piece in pairs...then place ruler on strip set by lining up diagonal line on BiRangle over seam line of strip set...rotary cut around 2 sides and rotate ruler to cut around remaining 2 sides. So like squaring up a hst. There is a slight offset...if you have a set of TriRecs look at the skinny one of the two rulers...it could do the same thing, I think. Haven't used either, truthfully, but wish I had before I made so many blocks that would have worked better with either one...it's that little offset/tipclip that makes it so much easier to keep it true. If there's a method that gets me to the right size, I'll use whichever one is the easiest to attain accuracy...if it means another ruler, well, it might be worth it to avoid the aggravation/frustration of frog stitchin'.

Please, if you locate a BiRangle ruler would you please post the link? Thanks