Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help I have a big problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-have-big-problem-t97376.html)

jayelee 02-06-2011 05:05 PM

Due to the weather we moved some of my sewing stuff up to the front of the house. My sewingroom is very cold and in these frigid times it is not cost effective to try and keep it warm. I brought my large quilting table for my sewing machine out and set it on the dining table one of my big boys (cats) was up rolling around it heard a large bang and saw it laying on the floor broke the corner off it it is acrylic does anyone have any idea of how to put it back together. I really hate to have to buy a new one They dont make them for either of my vikings any more and I can only find the quilters kits on Ebay they are 279 dollars
I tried tape that wont work.

amma 02-06-2011 05:08 PM

They make a glue specifically for acrylic, maybe that would work? Try at a hardware store. :D:D:D

quiltstodo 02-06-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by amma
They make a glue specifically for acrylic, maybe that would work? Try at a hardware store. :D:D:D

I think it's called liquid solder and they make one for acrylic

klgreene 02-06-2011 05:12 PM

Try Gorilla glue. My DH was filling out humidifier and the acrylic canister slipped and cracked all over the place. He glue it with Gorilla Glue (don't look very good) by it holds the water. So I would think it would work on your table.

sewwhat85 02-06-2011 05:33 PM

i would think you could find something at hardware store

dar627742 02-06-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
Due to the weather we moved some of my sewing stuff up to the front of the house. My sewingroom is very cold and in these frigid times it is not cost effective to try and keep it warm. I brought my large quilting table for my sewing machine out and set it on the dining table one of my big boys (cats) was up rolling around it heard a large bang and saw it laying on the floor broke the corner off it it is acrylic does anyone have any idea of how to put it back together. I really hate to have to buy a new one They dont make them for either of my vikings any more and I can only find the quilters kits on Ebay they are 279 dollars
I tried tape that wont work.

have you tried the Uglu they are advertizing on tv?my bf bought some for me & it really works as well as they say it does, on all the things i've tried it on
dar

qnana 02-06-2011 05:45 PM

Usually the epoxy products do the best job and will clean off so it is smooth again. You will need to devise some way of clamping it while it drys. I would take the broken off piece with me to somewhere like Lowes and ask for help! If it is too thick for, say, clothes pins to hold in in place while it dries, ask them about clamps, too. good luck!

emerald46 02-06-2011 06:56 PM

You might check with a glass company in your area...the one I use in Houston does acrylic as well. Bet they would have a good repair solution for you.

pinecone 02-06-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
You might check with a glass company in your area...the one I use in Houston does acrylic as well. Bet they would have a good repair solution for you.

That is what my Dad did when he made a plexi stand for the DVD player. The glue they recommended was a bit smelly but as he was only using it once he wasn't worried. He used a pipette to lay a bead of the epoxy along the length of the plexi. Looks fine. Good luck.

piney

Ramona Byrd 02-06-2011 07:39 PM

I'm not too sure about what this looks like, but could you possibly put another layer of wood/plastic/plexiglass under it for strength
after it is glued back together?
Maybe even glue the two layers together? Or is the height just right as it is now?