Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP--I have crooked pre-cut jelly rolls! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-have-crooked-pre-cut-jelly-rolls-t218425.html)

MaureenL 04-06-2013 04:10 PM

HELP--I have crooked pre-cut jelly rolls!

This will be my first quilt, and it is a simple pattern made from 3 jelly rolls I ordered on-line. The rolls I received are all crooked strips; the center is a hill up from the two edges. (The rolls are from a well-known company) My question: if the strips are crooked, will the whole quilt turn out wonky??

Fabaddict 04-06-2013 04:14 PM

I would be inclined to cut them in half and use half strips - you should be able to square up the ends if in half.

mcdaniel023 04-06-2013 04:16 PM

I sure wouldn't try it for a first quilt. Sorry.

auntpiggylpn 04-06-2013 04:16 PM

Contact the manufacturer. If it is the one that begins with "M" they will send you a replacement jelly roll

pocoellie 04-06-2013 04:22 PM

This has been my experience also, which is one of the main reasons I don't buy jelly rolls or any pre-cut fabrics. I've gotten jelly rolls as gifts and had to even them up by making them 2" strips, after cutting them in half as suggested by fabaddict. All of these jelly rolls were by major manufacturers.

quilter2090 04-06-2013 04:34 PM

This is one of the reasons I don't buy pre-cuts. I have read that many people here have had the same problem that you have. I bought a June Tailor Shape Cut ruler which has slots across the ruler to cut strips fast and easy. Also, when making your own strips, you decide which fabrics you want, rather than the fabric company choosing. If the fabric is wonky, it will make it so difficult to peice accurately. Let me ask, since this is your first quilt, do you have the basics to cut fabric? A rotary cutter, a cutting mat and a quilting ruler? If you do, I would suggest buying some fabric and cutting your own strips. That way they will not be off. Nothing is worse when you are trying something new, to have faulty equipment to work with. It just makes the whole process harder.

katier825 04-06-2013 04:42 PM

If you are cutting the strips into pieces, you should be able to get away with it. If you are piecing the full width of the strip, it will be more of an issue. You can always fudge the seam allowance a little if necessary. Works for me. :)

hopetoquilt 04-06-2013 04:42 PM

What pattern are you using. If it is a jelly roll race, it will be a major issue. For some other patterns, it may not be an issue.

toolazy 04-06-2013 04:47 PM

Contact the seller and the manufacturer. Really. They will almost certainly want to make this right for you. You might be able to use the strips anyways, as others have said, but you should also have some compensation for your trouble.

BellaBoo 04-06-2013 05:29 PM

Batik pre cuts are usually cut manually overseas so many of those can be crooked. The package will say may have slight variations in cuts. I avoid those.