Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I need baby ideas, quick! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-need-baby-ideas-quick-t179095.html)

MrsBoats 02-12-2012 06:18 AM

Help! I need baby ideas, quick!

A friend of mine has just discovered that A: she's pregnant, and B: she's due at the end of the month. (Which explains why she's been complaining of "just not feeling right" for awhile now. But she's *still* not showing-go figure!) The shower is Friday after work.

I've got a hairy week at work coming up and just don't have time to go all out on a quilt or diaper bag before then. She says that mostly what she needs is small stuff, so now I'm thinking about what sort of 'small stuff' I can make between now and then. Other than burp cloths, anyone have any ideas for quick, everything-in-an-evening size projects?

GingerK 02-12-2012 06:32 AM

Honestly, the one thing my DD always asks me to make for her pregnant friends, is oversized receiving blankets. Get about 1.25 yards of flannelette, wash and dry in a HOT dryer, then straighten and square off. Narrow hem and you are done. I often get 2 yards and then make a couple of burp cloths too. BTW, my burp cloth pattern is shaped like a dumbell on one side and straight on the other. It measures about 15 inches long and I use two layers of flannelette which I sew like an envelope, turn right side out, press and topstitch around the edges.

deedum 02-12-2012 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
how about some taggies? really quick to make. Burp cloths is what I make alot along with receiving blankets. Wash clothes and hooded towels.

mmb195152 02-12-2012 06:53 AM

Recently I saw some cute washcloths with flannel on one side, and minky on the back. Not sure where I saw them. They were awesome! Your fortunate friend! Thinking she is ill, and going to wind up with a beautiful baby!

Rosewood9 02-12-2012 07:05 AM

on Youtube, look up self binding receiving blanket! It's an awesome blanket and you can make it in under an hour!

mommaB 02-12-2012 07:21 AM

I like to make "drag rags" fleece blankets that are simply surged or blanket sticked around the edge. Good for leaving in the car for quick throw downs to change diapers on(it frequently happened in the trunk pulled off the road ) or if you stop to visit somewhere and just aren't comfortable putting your child down on their furniture or carpet (either pet hair on their part or spit-up-ing child on yours!) I also like to make a larger one that covers Mom (or Dad) and baby for chilly evenings of rocking. Easy...relatively cheap!

Tartan 02-12-2012 09:42 AM

Do you have an embroidery machine? I saw burp clothes the had crossed checker flags embroidered and the words "Spit Crew"on them. They were adorable. On QB gailmitchel posted baby tag toy and it's really cute too. Someone else posted it with the link as well.
Deedum, your taggies are awesome and look super easy to do!

Shelbie 02-12-2012 09:55 AM

I make the best bibs ever out of washcloths. I can make one in ten minutes if I have the bias binding. Cut a U-shaped hole for the neck (about2.5 inches) at the top edge of the washcloth and bind the cut neck edge with bias tape using a continuous piece of binding that also functions as the ties (about a yard). Feed the baby, wet the washcloth bib and use it to wash the baby and then throw it into the wash. The washcloth is thick enough to absorb any spills and has no plastic backing to crinkle up and crack in the dryer. Sometimes I add rickrack, trim or embroidery to "fancy" them up.

MrsBoats 02-19-2012 05:19 AM

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. The shower was Friday after work, and by then I had a baby tub full of burp cloths, hooded towels, extra large receiving blankets, and a fleece blanket. And a couple of crocheted mohair washcloths; I won three of them as a door prize several years ago, tried one and didn't like it-not scrubby enough. But the two I haven't used were pale green and pale yellow, and sinfully soft, so into the tub they went! I added some baby bath wash and a tub of Boudreaux's Butt Paste and was good to go. Thanks for the ideas!

judylg 02-19-2012 05:38 AM

Good you were able to get your sewing done for the new one. I can not get over not knowing or being aware you were so close to having a baby. She sure must have felt good for the months leading up to the birth. Lucky girl.