Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I need help pricing something to buy! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-need-help-pricing-something-buy-t122511.html)

HummerGardenCrafts 05-12-2011 04:54 AM

A lady called me to see if I was interested in some items her grandmother had. I'm still waiting on the sizes. But she had 6 bags of yarn, 3 boxes of craft books and 1 box of fabric. I figure the bags are big trash bags.
I don't have a clue what to offer her. I tried to get her to give a price.
Does anyone that buys a lot of yardsale stuff know what maybe I should offer her?
Thanks for all your help!

QuiltE 05-12-2011 05:04 AM

Wait til you are there .... see how enticing the stuff is.

And too, when you are there in front of her, she may be more likely to give you a price.

Rebecca VLQ 05-12-2011 05:04 AM

Yarn depends on if it's acrylic, cotton, bamboo, wool. A skein of wool can be worth 5-10x that of acrylic.

Fabric...same thing, what is the content? Cotton is worth double(ish) of polycotton. Then it depends on if it's quilt shop quality or something flimsy...

HummerGardenCrafts 05-12-2011 05:13 AM

I may be meeting her this evening. I told her I had to see it first. I'm hopeing she will give me a price and then go from there. I actually don't need the stuff. But never turn down a good deal. If I don't take it, she is having a yardsale Memorial weeekend. So I'm sure she will find a buyer. But I do want to see it.

greenini 05-12-2011 05:32 AM

I'd figure maybe $5 to $10 a huge garbage bag as a starting price...depending on the content. A bag full of big pieces of LSQ fabric is worth more then a bag full of cheesy scraps. And it also depends on your area. How much do your thrift stores get for fabric? Do you do yard or estate sales? How much do they ask. Check the closest Craig's List and see if you can find any sales to give you an idea. The bottom line is what can you afford, do you need it and you can always hit the yard sale and see how she's priced it then and make her an offer! Have fun, it sounds like a great situation!

HummerGardenCrafts 05-12-2011 05:50 AM

Thanks for all the help!!!!
I just found out they are the white trash bags. And the boxes are small to medium.
I never find any fabric at a thrift store. I'm not lucky. But my Aunt was telling me about a thrift store that does have fabric and craft supplies. So I hope to go there one day soon.
I think I've been to maybe two yardsales this year so far.
The flea market once. No luck at either on anything craft wise.

ckcowl 05-12-2011 07:15 AM

depending on what you see when you get there- i would think between $10 & $20 would be more than reasonable.
chances are the 'stuff' will be going to a thrift store or dumpster after the yard sale.

jmabby 05-12-2011 07:17 AM

I would check to see how much of it you actually want. Maybe she will let you pick and choose what you want, then offer her $5-10 a bag depending on what you choose

Favorite Fabrics 05-12-2011 07:20 AM

See what it looks like first. If it's nothing that you would ever use, then it isn't a bargain no matter how low the price is.

cctx. 05-12-2011 07:33 AM

Give her $50.00.