Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help..I need ideas! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-need-ideas-t284840.html)

Crqltr 12-30-2016 07:10 PM

Help..I need ideas!

My niece is having a baby girl (yea!) and has asked me to make a wall hanging for the baby's room. I made one for their son and they were very happy with it.
She is looking ar pale colors and wants "shabby chic".. I'm stumped! Do any of the great quilters have pictures of shabby chic?? I would appreciate all the help I can get with this one ! Thanks..

Prism99 12-30-2016 07:47 PM

Here is a link to my search on Google for images of "shabby chic baby quilt":
https://www.google.com/search?q=shab...HV2gBN4Q7AkIUg

Honestly, I think you could use almost any pieced pattern with fabrics that have pink roses on them (try searching online fabric stores for cabbage rose fabrics).

Ariannaquilts 12-31-2016 05:56 AM

You should definitely look at Pinterest they have a lot of shabby chic. I happen to love it so basically all that shabby chic is are pale muted fabrics, gingham flowers and the like. Check out Pinterest you'll see, just a little more difficult for a boy than a girl.

Tartan 12-31-2016 06:35 AM

The French Rose pattern may work.

RedGarnet222 12-31-2016 09:39 AM

I think that you could ask how big the wall is that will be the focal point in the room for the wall hanging. Also ask what color the walls will be and the curtains she will be using. Then ask if she likes images of animals, floral or perhaps butterflies and bows. It will be like a "picture" in the room to anchor the whole room together. So a few questions would help you to solidify your thoughts before beginning the project. Make sense?

My sister asked for a shabby chic quilt for her room and I showed her a few tops I had started. She chose the lavender shades, which surprised me. I pretty much think pinks when I think of shabby. If you discuss it with her, there won't be any doubts in your mind and you can enjoy the making process.

Crqltr 12-31-2016 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 7729871)
I think that you could ask how big the wall is that will be the focal point in the room for the wall hanging. Also ask what color the walls will be and the curtains she will be using. Then ask if she likes images of animals, floral or perhaps butterflies and bows. It will be like a "picture" in the room to anchor the whole room together. So a few questions would help you to solidify your thoughts before beginning the project. Make sense?

My sister asked for a shabby chic quilt for her room and I showed her a few tops I had started. She chose the lavender shades, which surprised me. I pretty much think pinks when I think of shabby. If you discuss it with her, there won't be any doubts in your mind and you can enjoy the making process.

We have agreed that it will be crib length and hang over the crib, she sent me a color palette, all the rest she wants me to "create".

Jan in VA 12-31-2016 01:11 PM

How flattering, she really trusts and admires your skill! :)

To me, shabby chic is fabrics that look washed many, many times, faded and soft. They often use lace, roses, florals, pastels, ruffles. Rather better for girls than boys, but for the males you could focus on the faded look that one gets with 1930s reproductions. Many 30s prints have doggies, kittens, rodeos, and other figures that would work for boys.

I love the shabby chic look in quilts; they remind me of napping on Grandma's sun porch.

Jan in VA

lmc8 12-31-2016 01:14 PM

Can you post a photo of the color palette? I think the "shabby chic" aspect would be met by simply including materials other than cotton. I suggest use of simple geometrics. Such as layered flannel squares sewn wrong-sides together as shown in the url that Prism99 posted. Or something like I did with two girly lap quilts using purple & pink chenille fabric from my mom's & grandma's old robes. I also used hot pink swimsuit material for the backing and binding. The quilt shop where I rented their longarm to quilt them thought I was crazy; but we were all delighted after quilting was completed; my shop helper paraded it around the shop to the other employees. They were worried about the washability but after 16 years, the quilts still look brand new.

SarahBethie 12-31-2016 01:26 PM

There are different forms of Shabby Chic. Prints can be included but the color palette is always muted and the prints are never busy or overbearing. Understated is the operative word.

You didn't mention her present decor, that may provide clues on how she leans. The French variation includes lots of white, slipcovers, and linen is in abundance. It's close to the popular farmhouse style that's been very prevalent as of late.

Rachel Ashwell and Tilda are the most popular representations at present.

MadQuilter 12-31-2016 01:26 PM

You can include some lace and embroidery, applique and pieced. Nothing too matchy-matchy. I think hearts, flowers and butterflies would be a great combination.