Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I need some cutting advise. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-need-some-cutting-advise-t242369.html)

Annie Pearl 03-02-2014 11:46 AM

Help! I need some cutting advise.

I need to cut a 12.5 square and 8 3.5 inch squares from a fat quarter. I am not sure what to cut first the large square or the small squares. The pattern shows to cut the large square from the 18 inch side and the small square from the right side and across the top. Should I just cut 3.5 inch strip or cut the small squares individually? :sew::wave:

pw6 03-02-2014 11:49 AM

cut the 12.5 " first but you can also measure out the pieces before you cut and see how is the best way to get the most cuts.. good luck

Prism99 03-02-2014 12:00 PM

You typically need to cut the large piece first. With what is left, cut the small pieces. I would cut a 12.5" strip first, then cut that strip down to a 12.5" square. With the piece left, cut 3.5" strips and cut those down to 3.5" squares. Cut the remainder of the fat quarter into 3.5" strips and cut that strip down to 3.5" squares.

Annie Pearl 03-02-2014 12:08 PM

Thanks so much for the help! I'm always afraid I'll mess up the cutting.

CarolynMT 03-02-2014 12:09 PM

I concur with everyone else.......wanna know why......well from experience I know if you do not cut the large one first, you will mess up, cut too many smalls or something weird will happen and you will not have enough for the big cut. sigh, lots of experience with that. Definitely always cut the big pieces first, then use the trimmings from that to start the smaller ones!

ManiacQuilter2 03-02-2014 12:39 PM

Normally, I cut the big and work around the little squares. But you will have a larger piece of leftovers if you cut the following:
Cut a block 7" x 14" with the 14" on the 18" edge. This will produce your eight 3.5" squares
Cut the 12.5" next to the 14" cut and along the 22" edge. That will leave you a little bit of fabric left.

bearisgray 03-02-2014 12:49 PM

Not all FQs are 22 inches wide. I would cut the 12:5 inch square from one corner and go fron. There.

Always cut the largest piece first.

dunster 03-02-2014 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes if you cut the largest piece first you will wind up with two pieces from which you need to cut the remainder, but neither piece is large enough, or you will be wasting fabric that you may need later. It can be really important to map out what you are going to do. First, measure your FQ. If it's not square, figure out how big it would be after you squared it up. Then draw the FQ, using its actual dimensions, on a piece of paper or in EQ and draw in the pieces that you need to cut. You may need to do that more than once, in case the first plan doesn't work. I drew yours in EQ, showing the cuts I would make, very similar to what ManiacQuilter2 suggested.

scrappingfaye58 03-03-2014 02:49 AM

if in doubt... trace it onto a piece of scrap fabric, or even a piece of newprint or newspaper... much better to screw up something you don't really care about than that single piece that you can't live without. I know me all too well... I would screw up big time lol (Ask me how I know this lol)

Annie Pearl 03-03-2014 04:49 AM

Thanks again for all the help! I do believe I understand.