Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I think I want this machine! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-think-i-want-machine-t148657.html)

mo-rie 08-28-2011 08:19 PM

I will first introduce myself. I am Marie from TX. Been a dormant quilter for about six years. Last February a co-worker invited me to join in her church's quilting group. That is all it took to get my juices flowing once again. My husband is dismayed! LOL!

I think I want an Elna Super 62. I had two in my home economics classroom back in the 80's. Loved how smoothly they sewed. I am watching them on EBay and they seem to be quite sought-after. The last of the Swiss-made models I presume? They must still be as good as I remember!

BETTY62 08-28-2011 08:20 PM

A big welcome from the eastern part of Texas.

auntpiggylpn 08-28-2011 08:23 PM

Hello from Indiana! I don't know anything about those machines but I do remember the machines we had in Home Ec and they were quite the work horse! We didn't know anything about fancy stitches back then!

mo-rie 08-28-2011 08:31 PM

Well, those Elna machines were tempermental for my students. I got rid of them and replaced with new Singers. Dumb, I know. But not as dumb as when I got rid of the 404's! I might get lynched for mentioning that here. I was 23 and right out of college...my first teaching position.

irishrose 08-28-2011 08:44 PM

You won't be sorry. I have a 1973 model with 1,000,000 miles on it and still going strong. It is not a quilting machine for me, though, because of the self adjusting presser foot and the fact that I don't have the straight stitch plate. I can get the plate, but there's no cure for the presser foot. That was a real selling point for this machine, but doesn't bode well for quilting. It is the quietest machine I've ever heard.

Tempermental? Maybe in some ways - you have to hold the threads to start - no getting around it and you can't sew over pins - Miss Elna is so well balanced that she will shear them in half rather than glance off them. She prefers Shmertz needles and no cheap thread, but C & C and Guterman are fine, so her tastes aren't too expensive.

I have sewn a silk organza wedding dress and men's leather belts. The paint across the a little front is worn, but other than that, she's good to go.

My granddaughter recently offered me $39 for my Elna (all the money she had). Yeah, right!

kiffie2413 08-28-2011 09:30 PM

Hi from another Texan..can't comment on the machine, haven't ever used one....but as I am famous for buying things, thats probably a good thing...lol...

emerald46 08-29-2011 01:06 AM

Welcome from another Texan. Used an Elna when I was in college...don't remember much other than I did not like it.

frauhahn 08-29-2011 04:22 AM

Welcome from Michigan! Good luck on your search for your Elna!

blueangel 08-29-2011 04:40 AM

Welcome from Kansas

pocoellie 08-29-2011 05:23 AM

Welcome, so glad you joined us. I don't know anything about the Elna Super 62, but I love my big Elna Quilter's Dream.