Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help - I think I've lost my MoJO! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-i-think-ive-lost-my-mojo-t218217.html)

Cagey 04-04-2013 08:15 AM

Help - I think I've lost my MoJO!

I just finished knitting and crocheting 2 baby blankets for friends of mine and now I feel like I've lost my interest and MoJo for my quilting. Fabric doesn't inspire me, new patterns don't inspire me. I'm getting worried! Any suggestions?

Tartan 04-04-2013 08:33 AM

If you are enjoying your crocheting, do that until you get tired of it. I get tired of knitting and crocheting but not quilting. I have the Pie pot holders on my list for a fun little project AFTER some UFOs.

calla 04-04-2013 08:35 AM

maybe its just the long Winter? Network with others and get inspired like here at this board.

grammy Dwynn 04-04-2013 08:44 AM

Visit you LQS, go on a Shop Hop with quilting buddies or go to a quilt show. Those seem to get my 'Mojo' going.

mckwilter 04-04-2013 08:46 AM

It's OK to take a break. Read some books, do some gardening, prepare some new dishes. Your mojo will come back.

Mousie 04-04-2013 08:46 AM

accept that you are "out of it".
I go through this too and here's what works for me.
I got to "my space" with no intentions of actually making myself do any sewing.
I turn on my favorite music, which for me is some kind of upbeat - "makes me want to get up and dance", happy kind of stuff.
I putz around doing some sprucing up and just pull out some fabric and pet and look at it and reminisce about happy plans for them. (I think of them as living, breathing beings, waiting to be "picked" :) )
I plan something very small for someone else that needs a pick me up.
Then I set a timer for 15 minutes with the agreement that I can stop ANY TIME I want to.
Usually after a few minutes I get my groove back and go past the timer and I am back in full swing.
If not, and it has happened, I just lather, rinse and repeat later or the next day and it eventually comes back.
The more often I just sit and turn on the machine with something under the pressure foot, the easier it becomes.
Music is HUGE - KEY, for me. hugs and good luck...it never goes away forever, I promise :)

crafty pat 04-04-2013 08:51 AM

i get that way with all the things I love to do. I learned a long time to just stop when I get that way and not try to force myself to do something I am not in the mood to do or it will be a mess of mistakes and I will really get sick if it. I just put it away for awhile and get into something else and before long I can't wait to start up again.

JenniePenny 04-04-2013 09:23 AM

It is OK to not quilt. I have a system similar to Mousie. I just go in my sewing room, putter around, pick up fabrics, see what goes with what, flip through magazines, give a heavy sigh, start to take inventory of a particular type of fabric. I sometimes get restless, then I will leave the sewing room. I do other things. I don't worry about the slumps. I do get extra giddy, however, when I feel the quilting passion come back.

Pinkiris 04-04-2013 12:23 PM

Cagey-- Thanks so much for writing this! I think there must be a virus in Wisconsin that takes away our quilting MoJo for a while. I'm in NE Wis. and have lost mine, too. We still have a lot of snow on the ground, and I'm SICK of it! I'm waiting for this "virus" to pass so that I can get back to being busy in my quilting room. Just can't seem to get myself there yet, Maybe once we can open the windows and get some fresh air back in our places!

ArtsyOne 04-04-2013 12:42 PM

It happens. Sometimes I don't knit for an entire year even while I collect patterns. Sometimes I don't sew garments for a couple of years. Do what makes you happy and don't force it.