Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Identifying Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-identifying-fabric-t177876.html)

Krystyna 02-02-2012 09:36 AM

Help Identifying Fabric

1 Attachment(s)
A few days ago I purchased a big old bunch of fabric at an estate sale. In the bunch there was some black fabric yardage that seemed to be a high thread count cotton or cotton/linen or ??? I originally thought I would use it for some tea towels (yes, I know. Odd color, but to each his or her own). Now I am thinking it might have been something meant to make men's suits!

Anyway, in the middle of the yardage there was a stamp. Also weird.

Anyone have any ideas?

erstan947 02-02-2012 09:45 AM

I'm no help....very interesting fabric.

ArtsyOne 02-02-2012 10:33 AM

I just googled Glen Ridges + Fabric and got a fabric manufacturer based in New Jersey. You could probably send them the photo and they'd be able to tell you which of their fabrics it is and what the content is too.

mucky 02-02-2012 10:49 AM

If you burn a small square of then fabric and it goes to ashes it will b e a natural fiber such as cotton or ail. If it beads or has a hrs plastic ball it is a synthetic.

Krystyna 02-02-2012 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 4935549)
I just googled Glen Ridges + Fabric and got a fabric manufacturer based in New Jersey. You could probably send them the photo and they'd be able to tell you which of their fabrics it is and what the content is too.

Hmmm. I tried that, too. The only results I got were retail shops selling their product but no website or email.

SueSew 02-02-2012 11:58 AM

They may have moved manufacturing off-shore. If you think this is old fabric you may want to contact the chamber of commerce or the historical society in Glen ridges to see if they have info. They often have old phone books. You can also do a corporation search for New Jersey and see if they are there

luvstoquilt 02-02-2012 07:26 PM

I moved from the Glen Ridge, NJ area 2 years ago..there is no fabric mfg there anymore. What I wouldn't give to go to a good estate sale..that area is full of them..at least 2 or 3 every weekend.

si-arabian 02-17-2012 07:45 AM

GLENRIDGES FABRIC identification

I also have this fabric- I purchased it as part of an estate sale- I have 3 different pieces of yardage - each 60" wide and about 3.3 yds long a navy blue, a khaki/tan and a brown I have been trying to identify them and determine their value as I am no longer sewing

PolkaBabe 02-18-2012 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 4935724)
Hmmm. I tried that, too. The only results I got were retail shops selling their product but no website or email.

What about contacting the retail shops the manager/s may be able to shed some light on this for you.

JerseySews 04-19-2016 07:28 PM

I know this is a long shot, but was there any luck identifying the fabric? I have 4 yards of it I also bought at an estate sale. I'm just learning to sew and would hate to ruin this fabric "practicing"