Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with Identifying Pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-identifying-pattern-t316577.html)

Smiley2459 10-08-2021 04:26 PM

Help with Identifying Pattern?

4 Attachment(s)
Hello!
I purchased this vintage quilt recently, and I haven't been able to pin down an exact name for the pattern. It is completely hand pieced, and tied. I am in a Facebook group for vintage quilts, and there were a few that said they thought it might be called Diamond Engagement Ring, or just Engagement Ring/Band, but that they couldn't remember where they had found it. I would love to find the name and possibly the source for the pattern, so I can do some more research. I feel like it a more obscure pattern. Does anyone have any ideas? TIA!

cashs_mom 10-08-2021 05:00 PM

I have no idea what pattern (if any) that it might be, but it's so pretty!

Pam S 10-09-2021 05:52 AM

I've never seen this before but it's amazing. Someone put a lot of work into this quilt.

juliasb 10-09-2021 06:32 AM

This is a pattern I would love to challenge myself to make. I have no idea the name of it. If you do find out please post it back here.

SusieQOH 10-09-2021 06:53 AM

I've never seen one like it. It looks like a combination of blocks. Very sweet quilt!

Peckish 10-09-2021 09:33 AM

Barbara Brackman has done an amazing amount of work, cataloging old patterns and fabrics. She has a blog and has written several books about antique quilts, patterns, blocks, etc. Might be a good place to start your research! 😉

Grandma’sgirl 10-09-2021 07:07 PM

Fascinating! I have never seen that one before and vintage quilts are my thing! Do post whatever you find out about it! I see different parts of blocks in it. Very interesting.

quiltedsunshine 10-09-2021 07:39 PM

That's an amazing quilt. It might be one of a kind! Imagine coming up with that design without a computer to help you. LOL! That took some brain work!

Iceblossom 10-10-2021 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I really enjoyed that top. The fabrics and the colors are all period perfect. It doesn't come right to mind to me, but there were similar designs and this may be some degree of original.

My block reference books are currently packed in my sewing room organization. It might help the search to see what I think is the broken down block design. In some ways it helps that I started before the rotary revolution where, for the most part, all I had were black white books/newspaper columns.

I don't know if it was a deliberate thing, but if you divide it in half on the "other" diagonal axis, one end is all rounded and the other side is straight lines.

This is a rough cut, more for the visual than the actual details, but pretty close.

Edit: Of course,now that I go back to relook at the original. this was not the construction technique used... a combination of pieced and applique? All set in? Maybe the blue diamonds were added to fill in ragged edges??

SuzSLO 10-10-2021 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think one of the difficulties in identifying the block from historic source material is the nature of the block. While there is a block (see my markings on the photo), that is not the way the creator made the quilt. And because it was hand sewn, there is less of a bright line between pieced and appliqué. The crown makes me think that it is possible it was started in 1936 to commemorate the coronation of King Edward 8 or King George 7.