Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I'm at my wit's end! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-im-my-wits-end-t186322.html)

Up4BigChal 04-17-2012 04:27 AM

I made up my mind 3 years ago that I will not buy the "Expensive" Irons, I've heard so many people complain about the cost then the die. So I buy the cheapest Iron I can find at walmart or target and now they last forever, they are not heavy. So I spend 9 to 10 dollars and it works 10 months a dollar a month! I hope this encourages you to not spend a ton on something that will only let you down, after all you have material to buy!!! :o)

19angel52 04-17-2012 04:38 AM

funny - I bought an iron THREE years ago at WalMart - Black & Decker for under $20 and just knew it would have to be replaced within a year or less....Go figure. Now this one DOES turn itself off after a bit - but a press of a button and it reheats quick enough.....

QuiltingCrazie 04-17-2012 04:41 AM

I bought one over here in Germany...220 I'm going to miss it when we move back. It is fabulous.....A quilter should design an iron for quilters.

ArtsyOne 04-17-2012 04:42 AM

I've had a Sunbeam for over 30 years that I originally bought as refurbished from BigLots for $10. I've used only distilled water in it and keep it plugged into a power strip placed onto my sewing table. I can flip that on and off easily and don't waste power as I understand that irons use a lot. Should I need to replace it in the future, I'll go the $10 route again.

Rose Marie 04-17-2012 05:36 AM

I have a cheap Black and Decker for ironing large fabric and a travel iron for piecing. Love the small iron it is perfect for piecework.
I shop at Savers alot and they have many Rowenta irons and they all leak so there is a flaw in them. I got one for $5 and use it as a dry iron. I like the shape of it as it has a nice point on front whereas the B&D is not as smooth to use.

gramarraine 04-17-2012 06:02 AM

I also use a spray bottle because my expensive Rowenta leaks and spits like you can not believe. Wouldn't buy another one for an amount of money. I keep thinking why won't this one just quit so I can buy a $20 iron that I can use steam in.

echoemb 04-17-2012 06:02 AM

I also have a cheap wal-mart iron that I think is a black and decker. I use distilled water as my water is very hard, and I've had this iron about 3 years. When it breaks, throw it away and get another cheapie. I lvoe the look of the Rowenta and other expensive irons but they just aren't reliable so I'll keep my money to spend on fabric.

Bobbielinks 04-17-2012 06:59 AM

I bought a Black & Decker travel iron years ago. It's small, light weight and gets really good and hot. I use it every day. I have also left it on over night several times. Great little iron that has served me well.

MaryStoaks 04-17-2012 07:46 AM

I recently had to replace my cheapy WM iron. I bought a Shark Professional at WM for about $30 and it steams like crazy. I don't care if it only lasts one year, I'd buy another in a hot minute. This iron has made my life easier.

paulswalia 04-17-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by kayluvs2quilt (Post 5146802)
I bought a really cheap one and did not put any water in it.....so far that has lasted longer than my previous irons. I now use a spray bottle of water or Mary Ellen's Best Press when I press my blocks/seams. (Love Best Press!!!)

This has been my solution, as well. If you DO put water in it, use distilled water. I collect rain water and filter it thru a coffee filter, store in plastic bottles and use sparingly.