Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I'm too stupid to figure this out! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-im-too-stupid-figure-out-t299994.html)

Iceblossom 10-05-2018 08:06 AM

Short form: We all have our days and our challenges. Be kind to yourself.

Long form: I took advanced math (college level) in high school, have a college minor in statistics, worked with engineers and did payroll -- but I've lost most of my ability to do math in my head and some days I have terrible problems with just basic stuff that I used to be able to do with no problems. I don't know if it is being post-menopausal or depression/medication related or what, but I know it is a very real thing.

Bring it up with your doctor next time you go in. Some common medications (I'm looking at you statins like Lipitor) are known to give some people problems. Other people need some B vitamins or other supplements.

I now use calculators for things I used to figure in my head. I draw out things on graph paper. I have references on cutting techniques/dimensions. I've begun to use what I used to call "fabric wasteful" techniques, like when I have small triangles I used to cut them out individually, snub the pieces the right way and chain sew. Now for half-square triangles I do the "cut a square and draw/sew a line on the diagonal and trim off the excess". What I lose in fabric efficiency I make up in speed and precision. I also have vision issues and find in general it's just better for me to cut big and trim down.

And then we have some really great people on the board here to answer questions!

boykinsmommy 10-05-2018 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8138132)
Maybe draw out the back with the "finished" measurements - and then add the seam allowances on?

See attached drawing.

Assumptions: that the dimensions given are for the size of the top right now

that you want the borders to be 2.5 inch

I would cut the center piece 58 x 11-1/2

Thank you! I was doodling all over a paper with dots representing inches, etc. I think in the future I'll stick to solid backgrounds. ;) And yes, actually cutting the borders to 3" would help because they could be trimmed down afterwards if necessary. I just happened to have some 2 1/2" strips I wanted to use up for this but in the future, I will plan on 3". Then if my middle piece is off, I can take it from the borders as necessary.

Thank you!

boykinsmommy 10-05-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8138153)
Short form: We all have our days and our challenges. Be kind to yourself.

Long form: I took advanced math (college level) in high school, have a college minor in statistics, worked with engineers and did payroll -- but I've lost most of my ability to do math in my head and some days I have terrible problems with just basic stuff that I used to be able to do with no problems. I don't know if it is being post-menopausal or depression/medication related or what, but I know it is a very real thing.

Bring it up with your doctor next time you go in. Some common medications (I'm looking at you statins like Lipitor) are known to give some people problems. Other people need some B vitamins or other supplements.

I now use calculators for things I used to figure in my head. I draw out things on graph paper. I have references on cutting techniques/dimensions. I've begun to use what I used to call "fabric wasteful" techniques, like when I have small triangles I used to cut them out individually, snub the pieces the right way and chain sew. Now for half-square triangles I do the "cut a square and draw/sew a line on the diagonal and trim off the excess". What I lose in fabric efficiency I make up in speed and precision. I also have vision issues and find in general it's just better for me to cut big and trim down.

And then we have some really great people on the board here to answer questions!

You are so right. I get so irritated when my brain doesn't function. I'm not currently on any meds but I know I am low Vit D...like seriously low and while I'm taking it, it hasn't really helped too much. I need to add B's...my energy is in the pits as well. Being peri-menopausal for me is driving me nuts!! It's crazy how much we lose cognitively when our hormones are in upheaval! I have a college degree in Respiratory Therapy and sometimes I feel like I'm 8 and I don't know anything. Ugh. You are right though, it's life and I need to just do what I can.

I decided to do a solid background today as I was tired of trying to figure it out and I don't want to be wrong...I don't have enough fabric to be wrong and I live too far from a fabric store to worry about it.

I appreciate this board so much! You are absolutely right that there are great folks on here to help <3 It was the first thing I thought of once I realized my brain is on malfunction mode. :) Thank you for your words of encouragement. Math was never my strong point so you have my utmost respect!

bearisgray 10-05-2018 08:54 AM

A drawing does not always have to be "pretty" - or even to scale - to sometimes try to work out a concept.

Although the drawing I posted was my fourth attempt!

Jingle 10-05-2018 03:17 PM

I try not to complicate things anymore than I have to. Some days I can figure things out perfectly and others not so much. Math or even school was not a strong point for me.

I am glad you decided to go with a plain back, always the easiest way.

wildyard 10-07-2018 11:24 AM

I have fibromyalgia and often deal with brain fog. I don't mind so much when I am aware of it and need to ask for help. What bothers me the most is when I am in brain fog and not aware of it, so I do the math (wrong) and it seems right, so I cut and then oops, it's wrong. Grrr... I have even gone over the math several times, and still had it seem right but be wrong!

Battle Axe 10-07-2018 11:57 AM

I find that I can "'think better" after playing Luminosity. It's a series of games on the computer. There is a small cost, but I think it stimulates my brain and keeps me as sharp as my age will allow.

Kelsie 10-07-2018 12:48 PM

Well it is nice to know that I am not the only one. There have been days when I have put something aside and worked on another project because I can't figure it out. I know that my brain is not working as well as it used to, some days are fine and some are not. It is an advantage then to have more that one project on the go. I have a three ring binder that I keep notes in and that has been really helpful if I have put something aside for a time. I often sketch out my backing.
boykinsmommy you need to be kinder to yourself.:)

Rose_P 10-07-2018 07:22 PM

You wouldn't really have to do math to accomplish this, if you want to try some other time. I did okay in math as a kid (eons ago!), but these days I will go to some lengths to avoid it if possible. Graph paper is good, but if you want to visualize it, tape some newspaper together and cut the exact size of your finished back. Then draw around the edges the width that you want for your border. Measure the inner part and add a half inch in length and width for seams. Then be sure to also add a quarter inch seam allowance to the border. On the other hand, you might want to make the border parts generous for trimming, as you would for any other backing.

The bigger challenge would be centering this pieced backing so that it's even all around because I'm assuming your batting will be sticking out a few inches on all sides.

I agree with Kelsie - you need to be kinder to yourself! Most of the time my backs are as plain as possible because I don't want to create extra opportunities to make errors. I make plenty of boo boos on the top! I think your decision to just make a plain back is perfectly okay!