Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Inherited UFO catherdal window (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-inherited-ufo-catherdal-window-t215048.html)

Dedemac 02-27-2013 06:54 PM

Help! Inherited UFO catherdal window

2 Attachment(s)
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> There were three different quilts that we ended up with. This partial UFO comes from my husband’s grandmother. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->I am working on a GFG and will keep that one, I enjoy hand piecing. I gave one to my daughter to do, it was only folded squares.

But what should I do with this?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398553[/ATTACH]

I inherited this partial cathedral window quilt about 12 years ago. I have started to learn the art of quilting and after 2 years feel that I am ready to tackle this project, but need advice.

Most of it is machined zig zaged, there are 11 rows and the longest row has 21 panels in it.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I have measured the sides and they are about 80 inches each. I would like to get it finished into something, so I can send it to his sister.
My first thought was to consider is half finished and continue on for a twin bed. I am now leaning more to finding a center seam ripping it out then rotating half to make a square wall quilt or a lap quilt for her. Would that make more sense? I would like to keep as much of their grandmothers work as possible, and put in as little new fabric as possible. It’s stitched so with a sharp seam ripper I could undo a few seams with very little damage.
FYI all of the points are there, I saw that the first picture one was flipped back and does not show. Here is a close up of one of the edges.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398556[/ATTACH]

I have a few other pictures if it would help in suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Tartan 02-27-2013 07:12 PM

How about a bed runner and a couple of matching pillows? That way you could use just her blocks with maybe a few leftover. The bed runner would look lovely on a off-white or cream bedspread or quilt.

GrannieAnnie 02-27-2013 07:13 PM

It looks to me like someone was intending to make a shawl or maybe a valance type of thing to hang from a curtain rod.

What you might do, is use what is done as the upper end of a quilt and then add on to it sort of like a whole cloth quilt.

GrannieAnnie 02-27-2013 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5893332)
How about a bed runner and a couple of matching pillows? That way you could use just her blocks with maybe a few leftover. The bed runner would look lovely on a off-white or cream bedspread or quilt.

Not a bad idea at all. It's beautiful and appears to be almost finished. I was thinking about adding fabric to make a longer quilt, but I think your idea is far better.

nativetexan 02-27-2013 07:16 PM

boy that would make a great huge wall hanging just like it is! do you have room?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-27-2013 07:55 PM

Another plus to the bed runners and pillow suggestions is it will become more pieces to pass along to the next generation.

Dedemac 02-27-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5893334)
It looks to me like someone was intending to make a shawl or maybe a valance type of thing to hang from a curtain rod.

What you might do, is use what is done as the upper end of a quilt and then add on to it sort of like a whole cloth quilt.

From what it looks like is she was adding rows on the bias and aiming for a twin size bed. This thing is heavy, there is no batting but each section is 5 layer of fabric thick.

Dedemac 02-27-2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5893339)
boy that would make a great huge wall hanging just like it is! do you have room?

Nativetexan, Its a little wide for a wall hanging as it is, two of the sides are 6 1/2 feet and the diagonal is 9 feet. If I do the flip on the piece will end up about 4 1/2 feet square a more manageable hanging. Sister in law does not have much room and no one to pass things on to which are things I have to remember. Stuff will come back to my daughters.

GrannieAnnie 02-28-2013 06:13 AM

One thing for sure, I'd be very reluctant to cut it up in any way.

sewincircles 02-28-2013 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5893966)
One thing for sure, I'd be very reluctant to cut it up in any way.

DITTO! I would either try to add to it, or see what else I could do with this