Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help I've cut a tiny hole in my backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-ive-cut-tiny-hole-my-backing-t103189.html)

quilterella 02-27-2011 03:49 AM

I've done that, and it is fixable. I took a small piece of fabric, same as the sashing or piece with the hole, matched the thread and put the small piece of fabric on the back and stitched over it a couple of times, using really small stitches. I was heartbroken when it happened, but, learned a valuable lesson... everything is fixable and you can't see the mended spot after all the quilting is done. And yes, the spot held up quite well after a couple of washings (2 by me and 1 by owner).

justlooking 02-27-2011 04:15 AM

I would also applique something over top. I have done the same thing. It is a bummer.

cbjlinda 02-27-2011 04:26 AM

I agree applique something over it. that is really popular now with quilts.

Scrap Happy 02-27-2011 04:33 AM

It's so pretty!! :thumbup: I would applique a heart (or something) over it. I had a similar experience about 20 years ago. I put a finished quilt top on the floor to look at it and one of our cats ran across it with her claws out. Ended up with 2 small claw marks on it so I appliqued hearts over them.

piepatch 02-27-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
Trying to do a QAYG last seam. The seam was off--not matching so I took it apart. In ripping the seam I cut a tiny hole right where the stitching will go when I put it back together. I cut a small piece of fabric and sprayed it with tacky glue. It didn't stick. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Applique is the best solution in my opinion.

Edie 02-27-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
Trying to do a QAYG last seam. The seam was off--not matching so I took it apart. In ripping the seam I cut a tiny hole right where the stitching will go when I put it back together. I cut a small piece of fabric and sprayed it with tacky glue. It didn't stick. Any suggestions how to fix this?

That happened to me. I tucked a little piece of Stitch Witchery into the hole and ironed over it. Can't even see it anymore. Edie

teacherbailey 02-27-2011 05:30 AM

Use a really good washable glue and a tiny patch if you need one, working from the inside if you can. Otherwise, I'm with the folks who say "Put the Label There!"

granky 02-27-2011 05:48 AM

I don't have an answer for the hole, but when you bleed on a quilt, use peroxide on a Q-tip...takes it right out!

Annasgrannie 02-27-2011 05:56 AM

Thank you--thank you. I have a snip but it is on the front of the quilt. Not being creative, I never thought of wonder under. Happen to have so much--another lesson learned.

Zephyr 02-27-2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
applique a heart or a label over the hole.

I've got a little heart pattern that I have to use occasionally.