Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! I've ruined a customer quilt with marker! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-ive-ruined-customer-quilt-marker-t296344.html)

Nesie 04-20-2018 04:14 AM

Please let us know how you make out. It's surprising because I've heard nothing but positives about the washable markers. Good luck!

costumegirl 04-20-2018 05:25 AM

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Be careful with the hydrogen peroxide - it may lighten or remove the fabric dye from the square - if you plan on using it try testing on an inconspicuous place.

Quilting is my sanity 04-20-2018 06:25 AM

believe it or not - instant hand sanitizer removes most ink. rub it on - let it stand a few seconds and rinse it out - of course try it in an inconspicuous spot first - I have never had it mark a fabric or remove color but there is always a first.

mermaid 04-20-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting is my sanity (Post 8044102)
believe it or not - instant hand sanitizer removes most ink. rub it on - let it stand a few seconds and rinse it out - of course try it in an inconspicuous spot first - I have never had it mark a fabric or remove color but there is always a first.

That's a great hint! I had a blood draw this a.m. and nurse said ''wait, don't get blood on your sleeve''. I said, I'll just spit on it and it'll come out. She had never heard that blood and saliva have the same DNA, ergo, saliva removes your own blood. Taught her something!

Cam's gram 04-20-2018 11:57 AM

Don't know if this would work but hairspray removes ink from fabric.

petthefabric 04-20-2018 02:22 PM

Some ink is alcohol soluble. Can you put some of the marker on another fabric and try solvents?

SewingSew 04-20-2018 03:04 PM

Soak it in oxy-clean for about an hour and then launder.

Jingle 04-20-2018 05:42 PM

I use the regular Crayola Washable Markers, every color. Never had any problems getting them to wash out. I use cold water and cold water Tide.

Grace creates 04-20-2018 05:54 PM

I'm thinking alcohol for ink but try on scrap fabric first use the same marker

quiltingshorttimer 04-20-2018 08:00 PM

Update! Doing a happy dance! After trying the q-tip with blue Dawn, then q-tip with Spray & Wash and soaking while I went out for pizza, I came home and found that some of the green had basically disappeared. Of course I wasn't able to remember which I'd used on that spot! So I got out more q-tips and mixed the Dawn & Spray & Wash together and applied to the marks, soaked again for about 2 hrs. Only problem was I went ahead and let the washer spin, so since no binding on it, the extra batting around the edges after quilting was in tatters.

Called the customer this morning and explained the problem that had occurred and that was fine now but that I definitely had "washed" the quilt and would not be charging (its was crib quilt so not a huge loss & my reputation more important). she was very ok with it (I've done many crib quilts for her) and actually was glad that I had washed it and no bleeding of the red! since I'd never had this happen before, I asked her if she had starched it and she said yes--so lesson learned--not to use Crayola UltraClean with starched fabric! (or maybe at all!!)