Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP! Jelly roll race quilt too square (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-jelly-roll-race-quilt-too-square-t259635.html)

Dina 01-13-2015 03:09 PM

Your quilt looks great!! I think you could just add more rows until you get it the size you want. I think you can make it look quite good!

Dina

charsuewilson 01-13-2015 06:52 PM

With the strips, you probably don't have any duplicate fabrics in the quilt, so there's no reason they can't be coordinating. You can test out the size you need to add by safety pinnning a rectangle to the end of the quilt, and adjusting the size of that by folding the fabric.

Onetomatoplant 01-13-2015 07:02 PM

I agree with just adding a few rows to the ends, and I wanted to tell you I love your fabric! The colors are gorgeous. AND I really love the "visual interest" of the multi-directional seams! I like that look much better than when the seams are all going in the same direction. Beautiful quilt!

Skhf 01-14-2015 03:17 AM

Http://Jellyrollfabrics.net has many samples of finished jelly roll quilts to give you ideas. I think you could just add on to the ends. But you are right not your standard jelly roll procedure.

maviskw 01-14-2015 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by maggiew (Post 7046284)
So I should just maybe "fake" the jelly roll race part and randomly sew strips on the end? I think I could do that.Should I see if I can get more of the same fabric or get coordinating fabric? I don't want it to look like it was just an add on. Maggie

Yes, this is what you could do. But don't just add strips. First, start with the "end" of the strip, so you get a seam somewhere in that row. Then each row you add, be sure there is a diagonal seam somewhere in that strip. At least most of the strips should have a diagonal seam. With coordinating fabrics, you'd never know the difference. Add a few at the top and a few at the bottom, too.

Gerbie 01-14-2015 05:23 AM

maggiew your quilt is very pretty. Be sure to get the jelly roll from the same place if you add on to this. I agree with others and think you could just add on to this and also add some border. jellyrollfabric.net has a sale on at this time, in case you are using some of the same fabric line.. I just ordered some earlier this week to go with the rolls I ordered back in Sept. (I'm not affiliated with this company). I decide to et duplicates of what I ordered earlier so will have enough when I decide what I m going to make with them.

linkd 01-14-2015 08:17 AM

I made mine longer by just adding about 6 more rows. Since it was batik it was easy to "match" (actually "not match" since nothing else matched either). Just start like you did originally by cutting that first strip in two so that the color breaks in the row. But I found it easier to piece the long strip and then cut it to the length you need for each row and then sew it together row by row.

quiltstringz 01-14-2015 10:23 AM

I agree with Tartan.
I have a friend who wanted her flag quilt just a little larger and she added piano keys to give a fringe effect, it came out really cute

SusanSusan33 01-14-2015 11:09 AM

I've never made a jelly roll race, but I really like yours!! The blues on one side and the green onteh other look so pretty!

ManiacQuilter2 01-14-2015 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would just keep it simple and add some more strips till you got the length you wanted. I added a piano keyboard to this charity quilt because I didn't want it to be square.