Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with a label.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-label-t217447.html)

HillCountryGal 03-26-2013 05:43 PM

Help with a label..

2 Attachment(s)
I'd like to make a label for this quilt.
Don't know how to word it or where to start, because it has a crazy story.

Several years ago we bought a '66 Mustang that was in pieces. The man that sold us the car wrapped a fender in this quilt! When I remarked that surely this must be a family treasure, he said nope. Don't want it back either. Couldn't believe my ears!

So, it came home with us while protecting the Mustang fender. I washed it and this is what I've got. Don't know the name of the pattern either.

If this was yours, what would you do? How would you keep it's history... little that it is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]404635[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]404636[/ATTACH]

coopah 03-26-2013 05:50 PM

Gorgeous quilt. Maybe something like, "Mustang Memories" ? I'm not really good at naming things...! But that is a real gem. Enjoy!

Spice 03-26-2013 05:50 PM

The guy sure did not know a treasure when he had it. Very nice.

HillCountryGal 03-26-2013 05:58 PM

Nope, he surely didn't.
I don't crave to name the quilt. Just want to label it with it's history.
Makes me sad to think that someone made this quilt and we'll never know it's story.
**by the way, it's machine pieced, but completely hand-quilted.

Jan in VA 03-26-2013 06:27 PM

With this quilt not only are the pattern and the handquilting valuable, but the blue/white colorway makes this quilt so desirable. His foolishness is definitely your gain.:thumbup:

Jan in VA

HillCountryGal 03-27-2013 02:48 AM

I agree Jan, it is valuable.
Guess this is a good enough reason for us all to label our quilts.
A good friend has encouraged me to also include the town & state I live in on the labels.

I hand embroider my labels, and figure I'd have to write a "book" for this one. Just trying to figure a clever way to pass on the history of this quilt.

jemma 03-27-2013 02:57 AM

the quilt found its own we to a good home--i would not stray far from what you put in the intro you could then add the pattern name [if you find it]and then add your name as the adopte[i think thats the word if you print a label you could add a pic of the car

Dragonomine 03-27-2013 04:04 AM

What a shame he didn't appreciate it!

romanojg 03-27-2013 04:50 AM

I just made a quilt or rather finally finished one for my 2 yr old granddaughter. I put when it was completed and that it was for her 2nd birthday. I put her name on it, my name including what she calls me and signed it made with lots of love from GiGi. You can put when you recieved it and from whom (if you know) and if you find out the name of the pattern put that on there and make sure you put yourself on there for preserving it. You can always add an addtional lable later if you find out more. I dont' worry about naming things but in 20 yrs from now I want my DGD to see the quilt with label and know exactly who made it and why

HillCountryGal 03-27-2013 05:07 AM

Exactly romanojg.. that's why I want to label the quilt. Hope it will bring joy to someone else down the road. Plus it's fun to know/learn the history of quilts.