Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Large Print fabric what to make???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-large-print-fabric-what-make-t266932.html)

Carol Wilson 06-28-2015 12:34 PM

Don't cut it, quilt it, the fabric is too beautifull to cut, use thread that corresponds to the pattern and do a plain border using the green and the peach colour in the fabric, it will look very classy.

I am in the final stages of finishing a whole cloth quilt which I will post shortly.

nwm50 06-28-2015 12:35 PM

BQ2........use as backing?

quiltlady1941 06-28-2015 03:36 PM

wow wouldn't that be a kicker if they hated it after all the work put into it, Thanks I will show the fabric to my kids and see what they say. But I still think I will make a quilt out of it, I just like the fabric and don't want to put it back in my stash as I'm sure it would get lost in there..LOL..now that I have cleaned out my stash I can finally see all the fabric by just looking instead of having to dig for it..

Originally Posted by PurplePassion (Post 7241072)
There is a lot of good advice here. I would go with the 3 piece top. But first I would show the fabric to the Son and DDIL, and make sure they like it too. Kids don't always have the same taste as ours. I know my DIL doesn't .

quiltlady1941 06-28-2015 04:30 PM

There wasn't anything on the selvege that said dry clean recommended, so I am safe there, this is what it said Hindustan par Kazuni pour Clearing House imprime au cadre, I goggle it and it can up as something from India so I think that is where this fabric came from.. I bought this fabric at Walmart a few years ago on clearance and paid 1.50 a yd it is still on the bolt that the fabric came on..I will try washing a small piece and see how much it shrinks.. Thnaks so much for your help

Originally Posted by grann of 6 (Post 7240798)
I was a home dec sewer before I became a quilter, and I made lots of duvet covers for customers. Read the selvege, it may say "Dry Cleaning Recommended". If this is the case, and if you wash it first, which I would agree with absolutely, you will definitely find it shrinking a lot, and the colors may change a bit. But most times the nice shiny finish will be lost. My suggestion would be to wash a piece of it first, treating it the same way you would if it was a quilt. See how you like the outcome before you go to all that trouble.

Rose Bagwell 06-28-2015 05:02 PM

Depending on your yardage this would make a beautiful Kaleidoscope quilt .

quiltlady1941 06-28-2015 05:50 PM

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful ideas, now I have to decide which to do, I am thinking on the whole cloth with some boarders, this would be easy and fast and then I could get to the quilting part which I really enjoy..I will be quilting it on my Brother QV2400 so it should be fun, I will post a photo when it is done.. Thanks again you are all great!

GKSM 06-28-2015 05:52 PM

I am always inspired by all of the different ideas that one piece of fabric generates. Such talent!

twinkie 06-29-2015 03:42 AM

I totally agree with Tartans suggestion.

roserips 06-29-2015 06:01 AM

I really like Tartan's suggestion, your fabric is geougeous and quilting the fabric design would really make it pop.

QultingaddictUK 06-29-2015 06:57 AM

I don't know if you FMQ but when I first started I loved the tip I was given, using a large motif pattern for the backing of a quilt and follow the design, it was so useful and made such a unique and pretty stitching on the front, your fabric would be perfect for it IMO :)