Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Losing my mind and patience! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-losing-my-mind-patience-t118230.html)

CBuckley 04-23-2011 09:17 AM

My backing was not big enough for the top. So, I tore it down the middle and set in another piece of fabric. Sewed both original pieces to the new piece going same direction, same stitch length and tension. Now my original on one side is about an inch and half longer than the original on the other side. What's going on? Hope someone has an idea of how to fix, short of going to buy more backing.

I've really enjoyed this board and have gotten lots of tips and ideas, but for the life of me, I don't know what to do about this.

Wishing all a blessed Easter!

erstan947 04-23-2011 09:22 AM

Some how along the way something got stretched. I often make large scrappy backs. They add interest and do not require extra purchases. Just a thought:)

katieranch 04-23-2011 09:22 AM

That sounds exactly something that would happen to me!

amyjo 04-23-2011 09:22 AM

when you sewed the 2nd piece of original and the extra piece did you seew it from the opposite end of the 1st piece? I find that sometimes when you don't do that it will be longer than the 1st one.

Blue's quilting mama 04-23-2011 09:23 AM

How about ripping out the shorter side, and pinning it to fit before resewing?

huntannette 04-23-2011 09:24 AM

did you pin them together before you sewed them ?? I usually find the center of both pieces i want to pin together and start pinning from there(middle) then keep finding centers as i i go...when all pined together...only then do i sew.....works well everytime...

Originally Posted by CBuckley
My backing was not big enough for the top. So, I tore it down the middle and set in another piece of fabric. Sewed both original pieces to the new piece going same direction, same stitch length and tension. Now my original on one side is about an inch and half longer than the original on the other side. What's going on? Hope someone has an idea of how to fix, short of going to buy more backing.

I've really enjoyed this board and have gotten lots of tips and ideas, but for the life of me, I don't know what to do about this.

Wishing all a blessed Easter!

CBuckley 04-23-2011 10:27 AM

Many thanks to each of you for your input. I didn't pin, and I guess I should have. Just figured the two pieces of the original would be the same length. I think I will rip it out and resew, pinning all the way.

MadQuilter 04-23-2011 10:31 AM

I think there is too much "give" for long pieces. I also mark my centers and quarters and even more centers between those points depending on the length. That way I can easy the two sides as needed. Good luck.

BTW: your little wiener dog is too cute for words.

CBuckley 04-23-2011 01:28 PM

Thanks! We love our Suzie! She is rotten to the core and thinks she is the royal princess, but she is so loveable and so much company.

ckcowl 04-23-2011 04:47 PM

your backing needs to be a few inches all the way around larger than your top before quilting it. after quilting the backing is trimmed/quilt squared- the process of quilting draws up the backing so if your backing is the same size when you start it will be too small before you end.