Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help with machine please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-machine-please-t226054.html)

SMR 07-18-2013 06:54 AM

Help with machine please

I have a Singer model 1500 and I keep getting error message--Thread breakage detected but the thread isn't broken. I have rethreaded, changed thread, cleaned bobbin area and still get this message and machine will only sew few stitches before it stops. I got tired last night and quit playing with but I'm heading to it soon to try again. I would really like to get this machine sewing because it has more decorative stitches than my other machines.

QuiltE 07-18-2013 07:26 AM

I know how frustrating this can be.
I don't know your machine, but here's some thoughts ...

Are you doing regular straight stitching? or something else?
If not, switch back to regular straight stitching ... and prove that it is working fine in that mode.
If it is, then gradually try other modes.

Did you re-thread both top and bottom thread?
Changed both threads to a totally different brand of thread? matching both to the same brand/type/weight?

Did you check your manual, for trouble shooting?
Checked your manual that you are threading both correctly?
Called your dealer for suggestions?

linda8450 07-18-2013 07:51 AM

I always try turning it off, disconnecting the power cord and waiting a few seconds before reconnecting. It seems to reset things and usually works for me. I agree with start from scratch to rethread as I sometimes think it is right and I have missed a simple thing....we do it by rote sometimes.

Holice 07-18-2013 08:27 AM

Could there be a loose thread fibre somewhere in the thread path. I remember a local dealer suggesting using dental floss to clear the path. Check the brands web site they may have a message board where you can ask questions.

JustAbitCrazy 07-18-2013 12:23 PM

Do you have your machine set up where there is a lot of light? I am not familiar with your machine, but too much light can play havoc with some of the new machines. My Babylock Serenade sits in front of a southern exposure window, and I keep the curtain drawn because direct sunlight messes up computerized machines. But I have occasionally opened the curtain on a bright but cloudy day, and if it's too bright, my machine will stop because the computer thinks the bobbin is low on thread. And I have found that when the bobbin really IS low on thread, and the machine stops because of it, if I open the door which accesses the bobbin, the light coming in fools the machine and I can finish off the bobbin. I like to finish off the bobbin, because there is enough thread still on there to sew a seam as long as a pant leg! I know mine is not the only brand of machine which is affected by light, so see if your problem is solved by dimming the light a bit. Good luck to you!

mike'sgirl 07-18-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by SMR (Post 6183734)
I have a Singer model 1500 and I keep getting error message--Thread breakage detected but the thread isn't broken. I have rethreaded, changed thread, cleaned bobbin area and still get this message and machine will only sew few stitches before it stops. I got tired last night and quit playing with but I'm heading to it soon to try again. I would really like to get this machine sewing because it has more decorative stitches than my other machines.

My Singer CE-100 was doing this the other day, and I did everything you did. It only stopped acting up when I changed the needle.

SMR 07-18-2013 04:56 PM

I think I've got it sewing now. Today I went back to the start of everything I had done--redid every step from cleaning bobbin case to removing top cover. Didn't find anything I could see but when I put everything back together it sews. Actually this is remarkable because I now remember I packed this machine away about 10 years ago because it stopped sewing anything but simple straight stitch. I guess it was tired and had long enough nap. Thanks for all the suggestions and now I get to play with my new old toy.