Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with marking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-marking-t2931.html)

dcurvey 10-28-2007 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm still new at this and well here is my delima. I want to quilt a "simple cable" pattern around my quilt. I tried the clover white chalk marking and the yellow and I just can't see the lines. I am using a premeade plastic stencil. Any advice?

lin 10-28-2007 06:45 PM

First of all, that's absolutely gorgeous dcurvy!!!

I can see why you're having some trouble. That's a really dark background to work with and it can cause trouble. I know as I've had trouble with this as well. I've had some luck with an artist's white chalk pencil on darks in the past. They're a little heavier and "chalkier" than some of the quilting pencils and markers. You can usually find that type of chalk pencil at any craft store. Hope you find something that will work for you. It's going to be the perfect design for that border!

amma 10-28-2007 08:00 PM

Pretty quilt top, I really like the colors you chose with the dark fabric :D :D :D Sorry I can't help with the marking... but I just had to say how much I like your quilt top!

Celeste 10-28-2007 10:16 PM

Can't help either, but wanted you to know how pretty that is!

Rebecca Chambley 10-29-2007 01:42 AM

Very Very Pretty. Try using worn down soap slivers, They work very well on dark fabric, and they have an edge that makes it easy to mark in the slots of premade stencils. The soap slivers have been worn down by washing your hands with it, and thats what creates a nice edge.

mic-pa 10-29-2007 03:02 AM

Hi, I bought a roll of paper with the cable stitch printed on it and it has some adhesive on the back to put on you quilt top. Then you follow the lines and take the paper off when you are finished. The roll of paper is rather expensive but it works for something like you want. Marge

kathy 10-29-2007 03:41 AM

if your WalMart still has the fabric dept. they should have a pretty good selection of notions. I'm not at home and don't remember the maker but there is a white pen marker, it is clear when you mark but almost instantly turns white, it works very well for me

lin 10-29-2007 05:41 AM

Is it the Clover (fine) white marking pen kathy? I have one of those and it works pretty good on most of the darks I've used it on, but found that it didn't work on everything. Sometimes it just doesn't want to show up. It does leave a really fine mark though. Not like the chalks that can leave a thicker line to have to follow.

I like the soap idea too. :)

Rebecca Chambley 10-29-2007 05:47 AM

Lin
I know it may sound hokie, for some folks, But I have used it many times on my dark fabrics and it works well for me. And what makes it really great, is it's free. I collest all my slivers now and save them.

lin 10-29-2007 06:16 AM

It doesn't sound hokie at all Rebecca! It sounds...effective and free!!! Can't beat that! :lol: