Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me with a border please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-border-please-t131552.html)

KSue 06-18-2011 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I see quilters asking this question a lot and now I know why - I also have a quilt the is the same all over design but I need (want) to make it just a little bit bigger. I was thinking 5" borders of black or another blue but cannot seem to find just the right shade of blue but if you think it would look better without them I am ok with that. Now my picture color did not come out correct. It is not yellow and blue but tan and blue. Oh, this is for a young man in his early 20's. Feedback please. Thank you.

alikat110 06-18-2011 10:20 PM

Thin strip of tan, then wider blue. Great quilt

BrendaK 06-18-2011 10:22 PM

I wss thinking the same thing. IMHO the dark blue would really anchor the quilt. I really like the quilt. Tan and blue are one of my favoite combos. BrendaK

Jan in VA 06-18-2011 10:33 PM

In cases like this I prefer not to use one of the 2 colors already in the quilt because then the blocks seem to "bleed" into the border to me. I use a totally different color, something complimentary, to "stop" the action of the blocks....maybe a 2" wide narrow border, then one or more, pieced or not, of one of the block colors.

In you case, you've used 2 of the three primary colors (yellow[tan], blue, and red). So, I'd use something in the red family....rust/burgundy/deep orange/true red/etc. for that narrow first border. I think you'll be surprised how it would enliven your quilt.

Jan in VA

Jan in VA 06-18-2011 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this:

trif 06-18-2011 11:25 PM

Oh I like jan's idea. If possible lay out fabric options next to your quilt before you sew it on just to get a better idea.

CoventryUK 06-18-2011 11:37 PM

Your quilt looks lovely,I like Jan's idea also, a rich red would give it the WOW factor!!!

dhanke 06-18-2011 11:49 PM

excellent suggestion, I think a rich burgundy would be perfect for the thinner border and then a wider border in the blue

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
In cases like this I prefer not to use one of the 2 colors already in the quilt because then the blocks seem to "bleed" into the border to me. I use a totally different color, something complimentary, to "stop" the action of the blocks....maybe a 2" wide narrow border, then one or more, pieced or not, of one of the block colors.

In you case, you've used 2 of the three primary colors (yellow[tan], blue, and red). So, I'd use something in the red family....rust/burgundy/deep orange/true red/etc. for that narrow first border. I think you'll be surprised how it would enliven your quilt.

Jan in VA

myfrenchawakening 06-19-2011 12:01 AM

Hi there, I would use a thin strip of a complementary orange/red to highlight your colour palette. It sounds daring but it would work. Lovely quilt! Therese

sonisew 06-19-2011 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Jan in VA

I like your idea!