Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me brain storm what to do with my purple & blacks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-brain-storm-what-do-my-purple-blacks-t281162.html)

TeresaA 08-08-2016 04:14 PM

Thanks for the further ideas. I wish we had a "like" button.

I understand why people enjoy them, but I've never been a Bonnie Hunter fan at all. :: pausing while the crowd gasps ;-)::. For me, her quilts just look messy. My tastes are toward things that are a tad simpler in appearance. I say this after just now looking at two of her books again for ideas.

Looking at some other books, I may abandon the all purple strategy and walk across to the warm side of the colorwheel for some other colors. I have the Jeni Baker half square triangle book here. There's a quilt called "Radiant" that I've had my eye on today.

fatquarters 08-08-2016 05:53 PM

GASP;-)::

LOL! well then....how about orange???? or green?? ooooooh, the possibilities!

TeresaA 08-08-2016 07:39 PM

I actually am seeing some orange and green and even yellow working great with the violet background!

busy fingers 08-08-2016 10:19 PM

No suggestions but whatever comes out of those yummy fabrics will be fabulous.

Please show us the completed item.

ManiacQuilter2 08-09-2016 01:53 AM

I have never had much luck when mixing red purples with the blue purples. Just a thought.

TeresaA 08-09-2016 05:11 AM

I know what you mean about red purples and blue purples, except I experienced it with yellow-greens and blue-greens. They strangely clash sometimes and it makes the quilt look just too busy. Thanks for the input that I could run into that problem again with purples.

What kills me is **I don't have a 'solid' white that doesn't clash**. This could be the show-stopper.

feline fanatic 08-09-2016 08:40 AM

It looks like you have a pretty good gradation of values in both your B&W and your purples. Have you considered a Bargello? Especially one of Eileen Wrights Twist and Turn Bargello patterns.

starshine 08-09-2016 09:33 AM

My first thought was maybe leave out the reddish purple (3rd from L and 3rd from R) as Madquilter suggested too.

I was thinking you could do a log cabin-so many ways to arrange the blocks and since your center fabric is the one you are working around maybe use that as your center square, and if you went with that the 2 dark ones with the blue and white would be out for the light side.
If you want more color yellow being the compliment of purple you could add that, if it were pale enough it could be used with the blue and white. I think it would be doable to find yellows that go well with blue too.

You could also do a sampler quilt using this idea, not all blocks would need all the fabrics in each block, but there would be some of them in one block and some others in other blocks. See below. Find quilt blocks you would want to learn or make some of your favorites and have them all together. A dresdan plate block could use each blade a different fabric and have most if not all the fabrics in that one block. And if you run out of one or two fabrics it wouldn't matter as the variety will have something in common with the whole.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

dunster 08-09-2016 09:44 AM

I love your assortment of purples and black/white and was really looking forward to seeing a quilt made from them. I hope you don't abandon that plan.

starshine 08-09-2016 10:47 AM

I thought the bottom row was all blue and white with the last 3 very dark blue navy. But because the focus fabric has blue, black, and white besides the purple I think blue and white as well as black and white work. And looking even closer the print second from the left on the bottom looks like it is a complimentary print of the focus fabric.
If you do go with a sampler all of these could work, maybe even the reddish purple if you use it with the batik 4th from the right and the other reddish purple and then the ones from the bottom row. And maybe get a solid or tone on tone or a color that seams nuetral for the sashing between the blocks. Maybe wait until the blocks are finished to pick that out.