Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help me choose! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-choose-t306054.html)

Iceblossom 07-31-2019 06:37 AM

Help me choose!

1 Attachment(s)
My BFF of some 40+ years is having a lumpectomy soon and I am whipping up a comfort quilt. I have the pattern planned and drafted out. I had two color options to go with, bright or not-so-bright, after discussion my Tuesday group helped me decide on the not-so-bright florals. I have (3) sets of fat quarters I picked up at the thrift store, 2 are identical and one is different but they both go together. Have other fabrics in my stash as well.

Somewhere in my stash is a perfect piece of mossy green, but I've looked for two days and am moving on. I've ruled out the beige tone-on-tone background and I'm down to these two. Both have plenty of fabric (roughly 1 yard cuts, I need about 28 inches).

So, patterned or reads-as-solid are my current choices. Do you have a preference or should I keep looking and what should I be looking for?

juliasb 07-31-2019 06:41 AM

I like the lighter one better. It is more cheerful!

bearisgray 07-31-2019 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Would any of these work?

Of course, your idea of "mossy green" and my idea of "mossy green" may not even be on the same side of the color wheel.:rolleyes:

Iceblossom 07-31-2019 08:38 AM

Oh, Bearisgray, I like some of those quite a lot but my plain is to start cutting today while the mood and the spirit are willing. The one I was looking for is most like your D fabric, but a little brighter and maybe 3-4 similar shades of green, less overall color.

The good news is that I did find a missing project bag while I was looking, it had fallen off the back of the shelf and was in a black fabric Safeway bag so very hard to see back there...

Guess I'm going to do the flip a coin thing at noon unless I've started cutting before then, I can really go either way and have all morning on which I like better and why. Helps also that I've seen the ones I rejected, a lot of them were simply too light or too dark, and medium seems to be the better option. The fat quarter fabrics are more blue but have some green, the background fabrics in the picture look greener to me in real life.

I can always make another quilt for her later but I want to get this one to her quickly.

FWLover 07-31-2019 09:38 AM

I like the blue floral at top of pic. Very feminine and cozy look to it.

Iceblossom 07-31-2019 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Argh! The indecision in me is so real.

While I wanted the low contrast originally because I feel those modern florals need it, here's a high contrast option:

Rhonda K 07-31-2019 10:24 AM

This is a tough choice. Going with your plan of "not so bright florals" I like the bottom fabric (1st picture). I like the softer tone on tone look of the bottom fabric. The scale of the top fabric doesn't feel right against the squares. Just an opinion. I know the quilt will be beautiful and loved. Best wishes for your friend.

Can we see the fabric squares against that fabric without the competing blue (on top). Of course monitors are different.

Iceblossom 07-31-2019 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is that what you wanted, Rhonda? The extra fabrics up top will also be used.

Because of my vision issues I usually go high contrast. But trying to stretch a bit with the "low volume" popular concept.

Queenbarbiej 07-31-2019 11:14 AM

I think the green is much better. It lets the patterns on the squares show more.

Jingle 07-31-2019 01:49 PM

I like the green with the squares too.